Happiness

Wei Ying whines, kicking his feet on the thick Persian rug under his body, and it patiently takes his tantrum with all the good nature that a rug can have.

"You guys are no help at all!" He moans, closing his eyes and letting his arm cover them.

"Get up off the floor, idiot!" Jiang Cheng says, nudging his side with his toe. "I don't know what you want! I said chocolates, A-Jie said red roses! Those are the typical gifts one is expected to buy for their partners or romantic interests on Valentine's Day. And nowadays, it's not even about romance. People give their best friends gifts, and it's all platonic." He toes Wei Ying a bit harder.

"But that's the whole point! I'm saying those suggestions are terrible. Lan Zhan will be expecting that!" Wei Ying wails, turning over onto his stomach now and kicking his feet.

"I don't get it," Jiang Cheng huffs with annoyance. "You wanted suggestions, we gave you suggestions."

"Your suggestions suck, and you would know what I mean if you had a girlfriend!" Wei Ying pouts.

"Hey! I have standards!" Jiang Cheng yells, throwing a cushion at his face.

"What? Must be breathing?" Wei Ying deftly catches it and flings it back, his aim on point.

"A-Xian, A-Cheng, stop it. Maybe keep those ideas as a backup, just in case you find something better. You never know, you might think of something in the nick of time and not need it, but it's best to be prepared, right?" Jiang YanLi takes her two year old son and plops him down on Wei Ying's back.

Jin Ling gurgles and laughs and grabs his ponytail, giving it a good, hard yank before trying to eat it.

"Besides," Jiang Cheng says snarkily, "if he doesn't appreciate your efforts, then he's not worth it."

Wei Ying turns into a pretend sea monster fighting back against a pirate ship called Jin Ling, and starts tickling him in retribution for the assault against his hair, thinking he was running out of time now. This sudden visit with his family was supposed to be inspiring but instead, it had gotten him zilch, nada, nothing in the way of anything useful that he could actually apply.

"How long have you been dating him, A-Xian?" Jiang YanLi asks him, hiding a smile at her son's futile attempts to escape and settling on drooling on his uncle instead, as a defence mechanism.

"A year. We actually met on Valentine's Day, so it's our anniversary too, and you know Lan Zhan always goes to town spoiling me. This time, I want to do the same for him, for a change." Wei Ying turns into a tickle monster ready to devour his nephew.

"Well, then it should be easy. You know him by now. Trust in yourself, you will automatically know what he'll like." She pats her son on his head as he squeals and shrieks with helpless laughter, moving into the kitchen to get his dinner started.

That was easier said than done.

************

Wei Ying has been thinking about Lan Zhan and Valentine's Day ever since the end of January.

He's been writing down notes, searching up romantic getaways, thinking about whisking Lan Zhan away somewhere for the weekend, just the two of them. He's looked up a few nice restaurants, vegetarian friendly of course, and discarded all of those suggestions because they didn't seem like enough, not genuine or personal enough for him to present them to Lan Zhan, too commercial and generic to be seen as a sincere attempt for Wei Ying to convey his feelings.

And he had a lot of those when it came to Lan Zhan.

The problem was, he had too many feelings and sometimes it felt as if his body wasn't big enough to contain them all.