Tied To The Ocean Part 3

It's a plain wooden box with a carved inverted hole in place of a keyhole, and it's most definitely locked.

"Does this help?" Wei Ying points to Lan Zhan's bracelet on his wrist. "A-Yi used to ask for it sometimes, and I wondered why, but look! Doesn't that pattern seem familiar?"

Lan Zhan stares at the engraving on the inside of the hole and then at his bracelet. It's the big silver bead in the centre. The very same silver bead that Lan Zhan wanted more of, but neither he nor his mother could find. He slides the bracelet off his wrist, even though that feels wrong, and presses the engraved silver bead to the hole.

They're right! It is a key, and it works! There's a click, and the lid pops open.

The box might have been plain, but its contents are certainly not. Inside it, like treasures from the sea, there are many envelopes, all obviously hand-made with glitter paper in shades of cobalt blue and white and iridescent pink. His mother has drawn and painted a different sea creature on each one, and every rendition is painstakingly accurate and breathtakingly beautiful.

Lan Zhan spends a lot of time just looking at the outside of the envelopes, admiring his mother's craft. Her nimble fingers had taken the time to draw each crab, squid, octopus, and a multitude of tropical fishes, with no guarantee even that Lan Zhan would ever see them. He spreads out the colourful envelopes on Wei Ying's bed, meticulous lines of the three separated shades. Right at the bottom of the pile, the last letter he takes out is a black shimmering envelope. No sea creatures adorn this one, but there's a full moon shining in the sky and casting its reflection upon the waves of the ocean.

It's a deeply poetic, romantic scene.

When he turns the envelope around, there's a message: A-Zhan. Open this one first.

There are twenty in all, one for each year of his absence. Another wave of guilt brings tears to his eyes, and Lan Zhan is startled when warm fingers wipe them away.

"Hey, now," Wei Ying gently admonishes him. "No need to feel like that. I tried to make her as happy as I could, and I think, for the most part, she was. What's done is done, Sweetheart. Just let it go."

Lan Zhan nods, squeezing his eyes shut tightly. He can do this.

But he pulls Wei Ying closer to him so that he's almost in his lap, an arm wrapped around his waist. He's unwilling to let go, and they end up opening the letter together.

That's when they find out that the envelope is the letter. Madam Lan has glued her letter to the inside of the decorated envelope, and Lan Zhan recognises her beautiful calligraphy, a cursive writing that flows elegantly in each line.

Dearest A-Zhan,

I found your friend, and perhaps this is Fate. If I cannot have my children near, then I am given this one to look after, and what a delight he is! A-Zhan, you have good taste!

Lan Zhan smiles at that and kisses the top of his hair; Wei Ying is resting his head in the space where his neck meets his shoulders with both arms wrapped around his waist. Lan Zhan feels safe. He carries on reading.

But my child, I must tell you something important now.

A long time ago, I met your father on the beach. With his sweet words and loving touches, I was fooled into trusting him, but I could not bring myself to hate him, not when our union gave me my children. You and A-Huan, both of you became my beacons of hope.

If you are reading this now, then A-Ying has fulfilled his promise to me. For that, I am beyond grateful. If your father has passed away, then there's a chance you may still claim your heritage.