The Voice of the Soul Part 8

Bridge

If Lan Zhan could define that week, it would be a bridge, an in between state of what he knew life was like for himself and Wei Ying, and what it was going to be like for both of them.

These few days were to be cherished as the gifts they were, because after they graduated on Friday, this was going to be their last day spent together, just as they've managed to stay through all of these past six years, since they met in high school.

They were going to move out over the weekend, and then on Monday, go their separate ways. But Lan Zhan reasoned with himself, eager to keep hold of the only thing that gave him any amount of pleasure and peace, there was another option. Surely he could meet up with Wei Ying after both of their respective jobs? He could find out when Wei Ying finished his day and go to meet up with him.

Maybe...maybe they could even rent a place together, right? That was assuming Wei Ying wanted it as much as he did. And maybe, if Lan Zhan allowed himself to hope for this, that it could come true.

For himself, he could not foresee his staying with his uncle and brother in their family home forever. There, he had to abide by his uncle's rules, and there were so many of them. When he had been younger, freshly grieving after his mother passed away, those same rules were a comfort even if he did not agree with some of them. But after he met Wei Ying and saw another way of living, he learned how to let go of the tethers that bound him to that life and embrace the chaos.

Now he doesn't know if he can in good conscience go back to living in that stiflement.

Soaring in the skies as free as an Eagle these past three years had taught him the difference between living free and living in a cage, and his choices would be different from now on.

Friday represents a huge change for Lan Zhan. He's going to finally tell Wei Ying how he feels, and offer him the path of living together, if Wei Ying would want to. He would never tie Wei Ying down: Wei Ying has always been made to fly up to the Heavens, and it has only been Lan Zhan's good fortune to be able to travel with him thus far. So Lan Zhan will make it clear to him that Wei Ying has a choice.

No matter what Wei Ying decides, Lan Zhan is always going to love him.

************

Monday night, they've just returned from their shift at the supermarket, grabbing takeout on the way home.

It's a Korean restaurant, and they know just how Wei Ying enjoys his spice so it's quickly become one of their favourite places to order from, when they're not cooking. Wei Ying gets them mocchi too, as a treat. Lan Zhan gets the bland vegan noodles and steamed vegetables as usual, with peach teas for both of them.

Tonight's movie is Stardust, a sort of modern-ish fairytale with all manner of famous actors, and Lan Zhan enjoys himself unexpectedly. But it's the song at the end which gives him goosebumps.

Later, when they've both showered and in bed, Wei Ying shows him the music video. It's called Rule the World by Take That.

You light the skies up above me
A star so bright, you blind me
Don't close your eyes
Don't fade away

My heart, I know, now I'm losing
So pure, your love, so amazing (yeah, yeah)
Don't close your eyes
Don't fade away
Don't fade away

Yeah you and me we can ride on a star
If you stay with me girl
We can rule the world
Yeah, you and me we can light up the sky
If you stay by my side
We can rule the world

If walls break down, I will comfort you
If angels cry, oh I'll be there for you
You've saved my soul
Don't leave me now
Don't leave me now
Yeah you and me we can ride on a star
If you stay with me girl
We can rule the world