iii. first night back at hogwarts

"Welcome!" Said Dumbledore, the candlelight shimmering on his beard

"Welcome!" Said Dumbledore, the candlelight shimmering on his beard. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, as one of them is very serious, I think it's best to get it out the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast . . ." Dumbledore cleared his throat and continued "As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the dementors of Azkaban, who are here on minister of magic business."

He paused and Harry remembered what Mr Weasley had told him about and how Dumbledore wasn't too happy with the dementors around the school.

"They are stationed at every entrance to the ground," Dumbledore continued, "and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave the school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by trickles and disguises — or even invisibility cloaks," he added blandly causing ron and harry to share a look as hermione agreed with the headmasters words, "It is not in the nature of a dementor to be understanding pleading or excuses. I, therefore, warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the prefects and our new headboy and girl, to make sure no student runs afoul of the dementors," he said.

Percy, who was sitting a few seats down from Harry, puffed out his chest again and stared around impressively. Dumbledore paused again; he looked very seriously around the hall, and nobody moved or made a sound.

"On a happier note," he continued, "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. First Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against The Dark Arts teacher," there was some scattered responses rather enthusiastic down at the slytherin tables including professor snape who scowled at the man but the gryffindor table clapped the hardest including the five who had met him in the train, Harry among them. Professor Lupin looked particularly shabby next to all the teachers in their best robes and let out a shy smile and a warm welcome.

"Of course that's why he knew to give you the chocolate, harry!" she realises — or the fact he might be obsessed with chocolate but who knows.

harry was about to reply back before hearing a pst, he turns around to see his least favourite blonde slytherin making his confused face turn into a scowl.

"Potter! Potter!" Draco started, "is it true you fainted?" Causing Malfoy friend from beside him to do a mock faint, "I mean you actually fainted?" He wondered with a sly smirk.

Before harry could retort, Ron grabbed his best friends shoulder and pushed it forward, "shove off Malfoy!" he sneered at the boy before turning also around.

"Just forget it." Hermione muttered to the silent boy earning a nod from him in return.

"As to our second new appointment," Dumbledore continued. "Well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our magical creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place has been filled by none other then Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his game keeping duties."

The students erupt into laughter. The golden trio; Harry, Ron and Hermione applauses were the loudest.

"Well I think that's everything of importance," said Dumbledore. "Let the feast begin!"

Ron wasted no time before scoffing down all the food in him sight causing the girl beside him to look at him in disgust. Harry saw the interaction and rolled his eyes before filling his plate with food before eating his meal.

It was a delicious meal; the hall echoed with talk, laughter and the clattering of knifes and forks. As the goblets and food disappear the trio followed by everyone else left to go to sleep.