vi. boggarts and dementors

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

"Good afternoon," Lupin said walking into class. He was as shabby as ever but still looked healthier then as he did on the train. "Would you please put your books back in your bags, today's will be a practical lesson. You will only need your wands."

Many students look around curiously. They had never had a practical class before. In their Defense, the last two teachers had some — minor flaws.
Well not minor, one had voldy moldy at the back of his head, the other was a narcissistic prat.

"Right then," said Professor Lupin with a small smile, "If you'd follow me."

The excited and confused class followed him out the classroom and through the corridor. He led them along the deserted corridor, around a corner where the first thing they saw was Peeves the Poltergeist, who was floating upside down midair and stuffing the nearest keyhole with chewing gum.

Peeves didn't look up until Professor Lupin was two feet away; then he wiggled his curly-toed feet and broke into song Remus had heard many times before in his youth — especially by the poltergeist along with his best friends.

"Loopy, Loopy Lupin," Peeves sang. "Loopy, Loopy, Lupin, Loony, loopy, Lupin—"

As rude and horrid the Poltergeist was, he almost never taunted Professors which made the students look over at Lupin in a flash, just for them to see his face smiling brightly which confused everyone.

"I'd take that gum out of the keyhole if I were you Peeves," he said pleasantly, "Mr Filch won't be able to get into his brooms."

Filch was the Hogwarts caretaker, a moody bad-tempered failed wizard  — like a hormonal teenage girl —  who waged a constant war against the students and, of course, Peeves. However he took no interest in Lupins words except blowing a loud wet raspberry.

Professor Lupin let out a sigh then took out his wand.

"This is a useful little spell," he told the class, "please watch closely."

He raised his wand to shoulder length and yelled out, "Waddiwasi!" and pointed it at Peeves.

With the force of the bullet, the wad of gum flew out the keyhole and straight down Peeves's left nostril; he whirled upwards and flew off cursing.

The whole class was quiet in amazement before Dean Thomas broke it.

"Cool sir!" he exclaimed.

"Thankyou dean." The professor replied with a contempt sigh. He put his wand away and turned back around to the class, "right then, shall we proceed?"