ix. werewolfs and animagus with snape

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

After quidditch training, Harry set off for Professor Lupins class. He stumbles in to greet one of his favourite professors just for him to come face to face with Professor snape. Ew.

"Sorry I'm late Professor Lupin I—" he pauses when he sees Snape looking up at him, glaring at him menacingly instead of his uncles warm smile.

"This lesson began 10 minutes ago, Potter, so I think I'll make it ten points from Gryffindor, sit." He said sternly.

"Where's Professor Lupin?" Harry asks, not moving from his spot.

"He says he is feeling too ill to teach today," snape says with a twisted smile before scowling again, "I believe I told you to sit down?"

Glaring at the man with hatred he still doesn't move but crosses his arms over his chest and said, "what's wrong with him?"

"Nothing life-threatening," he looks down as if he's sad it wasn't, "5 more points from Gryffindor and if I have to ask you to sit down, again, I'll make it 50!"

Harry sighs in defeat and slowly trudges over to his space next to Hermione.

"As I was saying before Potter interrupted, Professor Lupin has left no record of topics you have covered so far—"

"Please sir! We've done Boggarts, Red caps, Kappas and Grindylows," Hermione lists, "and we're just about to start—"

"Be quiet," Snape interrupts coldly, "I did not ask for your information." He states, "I was merely commenting on Professor Lupins lack of organisation."

"He's the best Defence Against The Dark arts teacher we've ever had," said Dean Thomas boldly and there was mummers of agreement.

His statement only made the man more irritated.

"You are easily satisfied. Lupin is hardly overtaxing you — I would expect first years to be able to deal with Red Caps and grindylows. Today we shall discuss —"

Harry watched him flick through the textbook, to the very back chapter, which he must know they haven't covered.

"— werewolves." said Snape.

"But sir," said Hermione, seemingly unable to restrain herself, "we're not supposed to do werewolves yet, we're due to start hinkypunks —"

"Miss Granger," said Snape in a voice of deadly calm, I was under the impression that I am teaching this class, not you and I am telling you all to turn to page 394." He glanced around the room, "all of you! Now!"

The bitter students grumbled to their classmates and opened their books to page 394.

"Which of you can tell me the difference between an animagus and a werewolf?" asks Snape.

Everyone sat in motionless silence; everyone except for Hermione and harry, who both knew but Hermione put her hand in the air — as always.

"Anyone?" Snape said, ignoring Hermione, his twisted smile was back, "are you telling me that Professor Lupin hasn't even taught you the basic difference between —"

"We told you," said Pavarti from the front of the class, "we haven't gotten as far as werewolves yet, we are still on—"

"Silence!" Snape hissed, "well, well, well. I never thought I'd meet a third year class who couldn't even distinguish between an animagus and a werewolf if they saw one. I shall make a point of informing Professor Dumbledore how very behind you all are . . ."

"Please sir!" Hermione calls out, "An animagus is a wizard who elects to turn into an animal," she states confidently whilst putting her hand down, "a werewolf has no choice. With each full moon when he next transforms he no longer remembers who he is." the smart girl continues, "he'd kill his bestfriend if he crossed his path— furthermore the werewolf only responds to the call of its own kind."

Draco Malfoy who is sitting across from Hermione lets out a mock howl — him and his friends finding amusement in it whilst the Gryffindors glared at them.

"Thankyou Mr Malfoy." Snape snarls before looking over at the girl, "that is the second time you've spoken out of turn, Miss Granger. Are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all." He mocks, causing the girl to look down with slight discomfort.

"Five more points from Gryffindor." The man finishes.

"You asked us a question and she knows the answer! Why ask if you don't want to be told?" Ron roared out.

Everyone knew what was going to happen next after the professor snapped his head over to the ginger-haired boy.

"Detention, Weasley," Snape sneered, "And if I ever hear you criticise the way I teach a class again, you will be very sorry indeed."

"As an antidote to your ignorance, and on my desk, by Monday morning. . two rolls of parchment on the werewolf," he calls out, ignoring the gasps of complaints coming from the students, "with emphasis on recognising it."

"Sir it's quidditch tomorrow!" Harry states.

"Then I suggest you take extra care, Mr potter." The professor replies not caring about his students words. "Loss of limb will not excuse you."

"Page 394." He finishes looking right into Harrys eyes before walking away.