viii. search for the grim

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

Following Peeves large announcement, and the words of the Fat Lady, Dumbledore sent everyone back to the great hall, where ten minutes later the other houses join them looking confused.

"The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle," Dumbledore tells everyone as Flitwick and McGonagall close the door, "I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the Prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the hall and I am leaving the head boy and Head girl in charge. Any disturbances should be reported to me immediately. Send word with one of the ghosts."

Dumbledore pauses, "oh, yes, you'll be needing this . ."

He casually waved his hand and the long tables fly to the edges of the hall and stand themselves against the walls; another wave, and the floor is covered with hundreds of squashy purple sleeping bags.

"Sleep well." Dumbledore says, closing the door behind him.

The next day, Harry managed to convince Professor Mcgonagall to allow them to still play quidditch. Which he played his first match against Hufflepuff under very bad weather. Unfortunately, quidditch matches don't get called off just because there's a little rain or storm but there turned out to be more problems than just the weather.

The stadium was invaded by the dementors all of a sudden, when Harry was more or less fifty feet above the land, trying to catch the snitch whilst the Hufflepuff seeker, Cedric Diggory was on his tail. Encountering a dementor for the second time, he fell of his broom and he would've probably been killed if it wasn't for Dumbledore — who casted a spell at the right moment, slowing down his fall.

The weirdest thing is right before he long conscious he looked into the eyes of the same dog that he had been seeing everywhere, and they strangely looked sad. If dogs could give a sympathetic look that would be it.

Though Harry broke many bones, along with his favourite and only broomstick Nimbus 2000. He felt like crying for the first time in, what felt like, forever. It was as if he lost a friend, which he did because it was his first broomstick ever.

After that situation, after a lot of persuasion, he was able to get private lessons to master his skills against dementors with Lupin. He was learning how to conjure a full fledged patronus charm.

He didn't want to faint next time if he faced a dementor — that would be embarrassing.

★ ★ ★