#Islamic Short Stories 10

"SHE CALLED OFF OUR MARRIAGE," Hashem sighed, his shoulders slumping. He looked defeated.

"What? But why?" Yusuf didn't know how to console his best friend.

"She found someone better than me," Hashem confessed. "Don't worry, brother. Let her go. You deserve someone better. You should be grateful to Allah," Yusuf comforted. "I want to, but it hurts. It really hurts. I loved her so much," Hashem admitted. Yusuf placed a hand on his shoulder and said, "If Allah finds goodness in your heart, He will give you better than what has been taken from you and forgive you, for Allah is All-Forgiving, Most Merciful" (Surah Al-Anfal, verse 70). Hashem nodded, finding hope in those words.

Today, Hashem got married. He never thought he would marry again, but he did. After constant persuasion from his parents, he agreed to marry the girl they chose. Although they didn't force him, he wanted to honor their wish. Entering his room, he noticed the empty bed. Nearby, his new bride was praying Salah. As she finished, she noticed him and froze. Hashem observed the remaining makeup on her face, probably removed while making Wudu. They stared at each other, unsure what to do. She lowered her gaze and broke the silence. "Actually, I didn't pray Isha Salah, that's why," she explained.

"It's fine," Hashem reassured as he closed the door. He noticed her standing still. Sitting on the bed, he invited her to join. Huma nervously played with her fingers. Breaking the silence, she asked, "Give me a minute. Let me fix my makeup." "It's okay. You look pretty even without makeup," Hashem replied, surprised by her question. Huma blushed, a smile appearing on his lips. "Please relax and sit down," he encouraged her. As Huma sat beside him, they began to talk.

"Thank you," Huma said, her voice laced with curiosity. "But did you really mean it? That I look pretty without makeup?"

Hashem held her gaze. "Absolutely," he affirmed.

Huma's smile bloomed. "No one's ever said that before," she confessed, a hint of wonder in her voice. "It makes me really happy."

Hashem reveled in their conversation, a soft smile playing on his lips.

"Maybe they're just intimidated by your natural beauty," he teased playfully. "Jealousy is a common affliction these days, but you seem refreshingly above it."

Huma tilted her head, considering this. "I try not to be jealous," she admitted. "Sometimes a flicker might appear, but then I just make dua for them instead."

"That's a beautiful way to handle it," Hashem said, his smile genuine.

"Listen," Huma hesitated, "I want to be a housewife. I don't like to study. I hope you don't have any problem." "Why don't you like to study?" Hashem asked. Huma explained, "There's no reason. I just don't like it anymore. My parents want me to continue studying, but I don't. That's why I married you." "Why do you think I won't force you to study further?" Hashem inquired. "Why waste your money?" Huma replied. "It's fine, I don't mind wasting money," Hashem joked. Huma pleaded, "Please, I don't want to study further." Hashem struggled to hold back his laughter. "I'm not going to listen. I want my wife to be a PhD holder."

"No, please. I will raise our children," Huma insisted. Unable to contain his laughter, Hashem burst out laughing. "Why are you laughing?" Huma pouted. "So, you'll raise our kids?" Hashem teased, mischief in his eyes. Huma nodded enthusiastically. 

"Speaking of our kids," Hashem continued, a playful glint in his eyes, "where are these future champions hiding?"

Huma's face flushed a light pink. "Well, they'll be here soon, obviously, since we're married now," she explained, a hint of naivety in her voice.

"Hmm, maybe they got lost on the stork delivery route," Hashem joked, feigning concern.

Huma's brow furrowed. "Lost? Storks? There are no storks involved, silly!"

Hashem threw his head back and laughed, the sound warm and genuine. Wiping a tear from his eye, he reached for her hand. "You're a very funny person, Huma. You know that, right?"

He  burst into laughter. "Why are you laughing? Did I crack a joke? We're having a conversation on a serious topic, and you're laughing," Huma said with a hint of irritation. "Okay, I'm sorry. We're having a serious conversation. I shouldn't laugh," he apologized. Suddenly his expressions and tone were quite serious. 

Despite his serious tone, Hashem blurted out, "What if we, uh, sped up the process of having kids?"Huma's brow furrowed in confusion.

A wide grin split Hashem's face. It took a moment for Huma to catch on, then a blush bloomed across her cheeks, as red as a ripe tomato. She playfully swatted him on the arm, burying her face in her hands. Hashem's hearty laughter filled the room.

Perhaps you dislike something which is good for you and like something which is bad for you. Allah knows and you do not know. (Al-Baqarah verse 216 )