#Islamic short stories 14

Sayem gulped down the cool water, the metallic tang a stark contrast to the heat of his rising anger. He watched in dismay as Hasan and Ezel, two of his best friends, launched the basketball towards Alexandar's group like an unwelcome missile. A brawl erupted, a tangle of limbs and flying insults. Sayem knew this wasn't the first altercation between his group and Alexandar's. They were like oil and water, destined for a fiery clash whenever in proximity. But missing the annual sports day, a competition Sayem had been training for months, was unthinkable.

The coach's booming voice cut through the chaos, separating the combatants. A tense silence descended as the coach surveyed the scene, his gaze finally landing on Sayem, the only one who hadn't participated in the melee.

"Sayem," the dean's voice was laced with disappointment, "tell me the truth. Who started this?"

Alexandar scoffed, his eyes flickering towards Sayem.

 Alexandar knew that Sayem would never tell the truth since the truth could mean suspension for Hasan and Ezel, effectively barring them from the competition.

 Taking a deep breath, Sayem met the dean's gaze, his voice steady despite the tremor in his hands.

"Hasan and Ezel initiated the fight," he declared, the words heavy on his tongue. Alexandar's jaw dropped in disbelief, while disappointment clouded Hasan and Ezel's faces.

------------

Sayem, Hasan, and Ezel munched on popcorn, dissecting each play of the day's games. Despite the sting of missing the competition, they found enjoyment in watching others compete. In the distance, Alexandar's group erupted in cheers – they had won the basketball match. As Alexandar and his team celebrated, his gaze fell upon Sayem's group. He watched, surprised, as they laughed and debated the winning shot.

A sudden impulse drew Alexandar away from his team. He approached Sayem, his expression unreadable. Sayem, Hasan, and Ezel looked up, a flicker of uncertainty crossing their faces.

"Why?" Alexandar finally asked, his voice low. "You could have lied and played today."

Sayem offered a warm smile. "We couldn't live with ourselves if we did. Allah S.W.T. says in the Quran that,

 O you who have believed, be persistently standing firm for Allāh, witnesses in justice, and do not let the hatred of a people prevent you from being just. Be just; that is nearer to righteousness. And fear Allāh; indeed, Allāh is [fully] Aware of what you do. "

 He paused, reciting the verse from Surah Al-Maidah.

Alexandar listened intently, though the words themselves held no meaning to him. Yet, the sincerity in Sayem's voice resonated.

"Even though we weren't fond of each other," Sayem continued, "lying wouldn't have been right. It was our fault yesterday, and for that, I apologize."

A beat of silence followed, then Hasan and Ezel mumbled apologies in unison. "We're sorry," they echoed.

Alexandar's lips curved into a genuine smile. "Your apology is accepted," he declared, extending his hand in a gesture of camaraderie. "But only on one condition – you accept my friendship."

Sayem's smile widened, and he grasped Alexandar's hand firmly. The gesture was small, but it marked the beginning of an unexpected bond, forged in the crucible of honesty and respect.