#Islamic Short Story 17

Tears streamed down Rafael's face, uncontrolled and raw. Just a short while ago, he had buried all three of his young children at once. Zara, Rabban, and Sayma, his precious little ones, had been taken away in a tragic car accident. Now, here he stood, surrounded by loved ones, all gathered for their final prayers.

Rain lashed down outside, mirroring the storm raging within Rafael. He lifted his hands, a plea for forgiveness escaping his lips for his lost children. It was then that a hadith, a saying of the Prophet (peace be upon him), surfaced in his memory.

"We went with the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) to the blacksmith Abu Saif," the narration began, "whose wife was the wet-nurse of Ibrahim, the Prophet's son. The Messenger (peace be upon him) picked up Ibrahim, kissed him, and cradled him close. We then entered Abu Saif's house, where Ibrahim lay in his final breaths. Tears welled up in the Messenger's (peace be upon him) eyes. 'O Allah's Apostle,' said Abdur Rahman bin Auf, 'even you are weeping!' The Prophet (peace be upon him) replied, 'O Ibn Auf, this is mercy.' He wept even more and said, 'The eyes shed tears, and the heart grieves. We will not say except what pleases our Lord, O Ibrahim! Indeed, we are grieved by your separation.'"

Rafael squeezed his eyes shut, the words echoing in his soul. "The eyes shed tears, and the heart grieves..." he repeated silently, as if calming a raging storm within. "We will not say except what pleases our Lord..." It was a constant dua, a plea for patience in the face of unbearable loss.

------------

One year later...

Rafael paced anxiously outside the ICU doors. His wife had been rushed in just a short while ago, and the wait was agonizing. Every tick of the clock felt like an eternity. Finally, after what seemed like an age, the ICU door swung open. A young nurse emerged.

"Congratulations!" she beamed. "You have triplets!"

The world dissolved around Rafael. In a heartbeat, he was on the floor, forehead pressed against the cold tiles, overwhelmed with gratitude toالله سبحانه وتعالى (Allahu Subḥānahu wa Taʿāla) . Tears streamed down his face, this time not of grief, but of overflowing thankfulness.

"If Allah knows [any] good in your hearts, He will give you [something] better than what was taken from you, and He will forgive you; and Allah is Forgiving and Merciful," he recalled, the words of Surah Al-Anfal verse 70 echoing in his heart.

 It was a verse he clung to during his darkest days, a promise that had finally come true.