#Islamic short stories 13

Exasperated, Adeline fumed, "Ugh, Ayesha, why do you just take it? You shouldn't have to endure their taunts!" Every day they harassed you, yet you respond with nothing but 'Peace'? Don't they understand your niqab is a symbol of your faith, not a costume for their amusement?"

Frustration bubbled within Adeline. Why did Ayesha always seem so untroubled? The afternoon sun cast long shadows as they walked home together. Adeline couldn't fathom Ayesha's unwavering composure. They were schoolmates, but here, a pack of girls ambushed Ayesha daily with cruel jibes. "Ghost caretaker," they'd sneer, or "scary ninja." Yet, Ayesha's response was always the same gentle "Peace." Today, Adeline finally burst out of her frustrations. Ayesha met her gaze, and Adeline glimpsed a flicker of a smile behind the niqab – a smile that spoke volumes despite the fabric barrier.

"The ˹true˺ servants of the Most Compassionate are those who walk on the earth humbly, and when the foolish address them ˹improperly˺, they only respond with peace."

Ayesha recited verse 63 from Surah Furqan. It was then she said, "Adeline, if you throw a stone in the mud, it will spoil your clothes. Look, Allah (SWT) has offered us such a beautiful solution. Then why shouldn't I follow it?"

Adeline kept watching her for a couple of seconds, as if trying to comprehend her words, then felt a pang of admiration for Ayesha's faith. Her eyes lit up with understanding. "Peace," she whispered, the word tasting new on her tongue. A quiet smile touched Ayesha's lips. Perhaps, with time, their path to peace would widen.