#Islamic Short story 15

Jannat slumped on her bed, the weight of the failed exam paper pressing down on her chest. Despite studying relentlessly, illness had robbed her of the chance to perform her best. The sting of failure was worsened by seeing all her classmates, even those who struggled, move on to the next year. A suffocating hopelessness settled over her.

Despair gnawed at her. Had her prayers gone unheard? She prided herself on being a good Muslim, yet hardship seemed to be her constant companion. A heavy sigh escaped her lips, the kind that carries the weight of shattered dreams.

Gazing out the window, she noticed the sky mirroring her mood – a canvas of leaden grey, threatening rain. During her childhood, she used to think, whenever she felt low, rain would follow. It was a silly thinking, of course.

As if on cue, a single teardrop of rain splattered against the glass. Soon, more followed, a gentle patter drumming a comforting rhythm. Jannat, compelled by an unknown force, reached out and cupped her hand, collecting the cool droplets.

A soft chime from her phone startled her. It was a notification. A friend, sensing her dejection perhaps, had shared a verse from the Quran – Surah Ash-Shuara, verse 28:

 "And He is the One who sends down rain (even) after (men) have given up all hope, and scatters His Mercy (far and wide). And He is the Protector, Worthy of all Praise."

The verse resonated within her. Jannat read it aloud, the sound washing over her like the cleansing rain. Tears, this time not of despair but of newfound understanding, welled up in her eyes. She walked to the window, not to shut out the rain, but to embrace it. Each drop felt like a caress. After all, it was Allah's mercy. 

It was a  reminder that Allah's mercy knows no bounds, that even in the darkest hours, His blessings can arrive in unexpected ways. The failed exam wasn't the end, but a redirection. With newfound hope trickling through her heart, Jannat knew this was just a chapter, not the entire story.