Chapter 2 -Hiding

I opened my eyes to the rays of sun that seeped through my dark curtains. I looked at the clock opposite me and it read 11 in the morning. I gasped as I usually woke up around 8am. Not wanting to leave my warm bed I lay comfortably for a while and listened to the gentle breeze.

Outside my door I heard two voices I recognised as Dracos and my mother's. I couldn't work out what they were saying as it was rushed and in whispers. I figured it was mother telling Draco what they told me last night so I brushed it off.

Once the whispers faded I got out of bed and sat at my vanity. I brushed my hair and put on a light bit of makeup. I heard a light knock at the door and recognised it to be my mother's.

" your up early" she said sarcastically whilst chuckling.

She picked out an outfit for me and laid it on my chair. I'd always admired my mother's sense of fashion and style.

As she left I began to stare at myself in the mirror and frowned. Despite being the daughter of Lucius Malfoy I had dark pin straight hair and hazel eyes. I took from my mother and aunt Bellatrix. However, Draco was a spitting image of my father and it baffled me how we could be so different. Thankfully I got my mother's looks and kind nature so I couldn't really complain.

I got dressed into the outfit picked out for me. It was a tight fitting black dress which stopped just above my knee. It had long sleeves and beautiful embroidery on the top half. I put on a pearl necklace, gifted to me by my father for my 14th birthday. I tied the top half of my hair up and brushed the remaining hair till smooth and silky.

I'd almost forgotten about what was happening tonight but quickly remembered when I heard my father shout at Nimsy from outside my door.

I walked down stairs to the kitchen and sat at a granite table. Since it was almost 12 I suspected the rest of my family had already eaten breakfast so I helped myself to a cinnamon bun.

Just as I was about to leave my father came in and stopped in his tracks. His black cane stood firmly in his grasp.

"I think it's best if you don't talk to Draco today" he said coldly " He'd appreciate to be left alone in his room"

"Of course  , I hope he's okay " I replied with an apprehensive look on my face.

Before he could respond, Nimsy ran in with a letter in her hand.

" S-sir " she stuttered

" Spit it out elf " my father said  impatiently with a disgusted look on his face

" The ministry requires your presence at once sir" Nimsy said in a rush.

I smiled at my father before he strode out of the room and vanished.

I wondered why Draco wanted to be left alone but I respected father's wishes and didn't go near his room all day.

The evening was edging closer and I decided to read a book to take my mind off it. I sat in the library and waited patiently for my father's arrival. Hoping that he got back before the Dark Lord arrived.

My mother came into the library  and told me it was time to go upstairs. She held my hand and squeezed it as I entered my room. I got dressed into my silk pyjamas and got into bed, trying to get comfy. My father came in and whispered something into my mother's ear which she responded to with a nod. She flicked her wand and all the curtains shut promptly. She then sat on the bed and hugged me tight, I didn't want to let go .

" I love you Ari" she said soothly.

Ari was the nickname I only allowed her and Draco to call me.

" I love you too" I whispered.

My eyes began to sting and a tear rolled down my cheek. I don't know why I suddenly felt so upset.My mother noticed and rubbed the tear away.

" Promise me nothing bad will happen " I blurted out as more tears began to fall.

"I promise" my mother said as she tightened the hug.

" Narcissa!" My father hissed  from outside the door.

My mother stood up and got out her wand once more.

" Are you ready darling " she said slowly.

I nodded and before I knew it I was falling asleep. My mother looked at me once more and walked out the room. As the door shut I noticed Draco stood outside dressed in a black suit with his hair neatly combed. Before I could question it the  spell devoured me and I was in a deep sleep.