A9 C259: Entering the Room

In the bright daylight, Ming Zhou heard Xiao Jin'ang's voice and unconsciously took two steps back. Before he could invite him in, a faint, high-pitched meow, reminiscent of a kitten's, echoed in his ears: "Meow~"

It seemed out of place in the silent corridor.

Ming Zhou tilted his head slightly, surprised to see that Xiao Jin'ang had indeed brought a cat with him. He asked tentatively, "Did you bring a cat?"

Xiao Jin'ang stood obediently at the door. Upon hearing Ming Zhou's question, he lifted the cat he was holding a little, as if to help Ming Zhou ‘see’ better: "Yes, but it's very thin and one eye is injured, so it can't see."

The last two sentences sounded more like mutterings to himself.

The frail kitten huddled inside Xiao Jin'ang's coat, looking so thin it seemed like it was just skin and bones, too weak to even resist.

Hearing that the cat was blind, Ming Zhou's grip on the doorknob tightened momentarily before slowly relaxing. He turned on the room's light switch, "It's probably a stray cat. Come in, let me see if there's anything for it to eat in the fridge."

Xiao Jin'ang hesitated, "Do you like cats?"

If Ming Zhou didn't like cats, he wouldn't come in. All he needed was a little cat food.

Ming Zhou stood behind the door, slightly moving aside to make way for Xiao Jin'ang to enter, but didn't directly answer, "I've never had a cat."

So, there's no liking or disliking involved.

After all, how could someone who struggles to take care of themselves possibly take care of something else?

Feeling a bit embarrassed, Xiao Jin'ang entered with the cat. Out of instinct, he glanced around the room and noticed that Ming Zhou's home, apart from essential items, was empty, like a room with only furniture, lacking any signs of life.

Of course, it was still better than the energy ball Xiao Jin'ang lived in.

Xiao Jin'ang wrapped the cat in his coat and gently placed it on the ground, "Dr. Ming, aren't you working today?"

Ming Zhou was searching for something to feed the cat. Since he rarely went out, he was used to stocking up on food in the fridge. After a bit of searching, he finally found a small plate and poured out some minced meat to thaw, "I'm not on duty today, what about you? It's the weekend, aren't you resting?"

Xiao Jin'ang was stunned, "You can rest on weekends?"

Why hadn't his boss told him?!

Ming Zhou always found Xiao Jin'ang unusually naive, easily deceived in society. For instance, he couldn't understand why Xiao Jin'ang would work in a company destined to fail, and he couldn't help but be surprised, "Didn't your boss give you any time off?"

Xiao Jin'ang scratched his head slowly, "Well... it seems not..."

It wasn't mentioned in the contract, and the boss didn't tell him.

Ming Zhou stood up from in front of the fridge and slowly walked over to Xiao Jin'ang, guiding himself by the sound, and handed him the plate of minced meat, signaling him to feed the cat, "Have you ever thought about quitting and finding a new job?"

Although Ming Zhou didn't know what Xiao Jin'ang's job specifically entailed, it seemed from any angle that the prospects weren't good.

Xiao Jin'ang gently placed the plate on the ground without feeding the cat. The frail kitten had already found the scent and began to eat. He lowered his head slightly and whispered, "But I don't know what I can do."