Chapter 14: Smart yet dumb

Seungcheol's gaze lingered on the message he had sent to Jeonghan, his heart fluttering with a mixture of hope and apprehension. He had poured his thoughts and feelings into those words, unsure if they would be well-received or brushed aside. Each passing moment felt like an eternity as he awaited Jeonghan's response, his mind consumed by a whirlwind of doubt.

"When will you sleep?"

The sudden intrusion of Wonwoo's deep voice snapped Seungcheol out of his reverie, causing him to sit up in bed with a start. He quickly tucked his phone under his pillow, his pulse quickening as he tried to compose himself. Lying back against the soft mattress, he placed his hands on his chest, a feeble attempt to calm the racing rhythm of his heartbeat.

"Soon," Seungcheol murmured in response to Wonwoo's inquiry, his gaze drifting upward to the ceiling as if searching for answers amidst the shadows.

"What are you thinking about?" Wonwoo's question cut through the silence, his eyes studying Seungcheol intently.

"Nothing," Seungcheol replied, a hint of a pout forming on his lips as he turned to face his friend. Despite his efforts to appear nonchalant, the turmoil swirling within him was palpable.

They had been inseparable for years, their friendship weathering the trials and tribulations of life. From the halls of high school to the lecture halls of university, they had stood by each other's side through it all. Even when Wonwoo found love with Mingyu, their bond remained unbreakable, a testament to the strength of their connection.

But now, faced with the prospect of revealing his true feelings to Jeonghan, Seungcheol felt a wave of uncertainty wash over him. The anonymous notes had served as a lifeline, a way for him to express his emotions without fear of rejection. But with each passing day, the weight of secrecy grew heavier, threatening to suffocate him beneath its burden.

"So when are you going to reveal that you're the one behind those notes?" Wonwoo's question hung in the air, a heavy silence enveloping the room. It was the question Seungcheol had been dreading, the one he had been wrestling with ever since he and Jeonghan had forged a friendship beyond the confines of paper and ink.

Should he take the risk and reveal himself, laying bare his heart for Jeonghan to see? Or should he continue to hide behind the safety of anonymity, clinging to the fragile illusion of control it afforded him?

"I don't know... what if he thinks I'm weird?" Seungcheol's voice wavered with uncertainty, his breath catching in his throat.

Wonwoo's gaze softened with understanding, his silent presence a source of comfort in the midst of Seungcheol's inner turmoil.

"So? Are you going to continue sending them anonymously? That's..." Wonwoo's words trailed off, leaving the rest unsaid but hanging heavy in the air. It was a question Seungcheol knew he needed to answer, yet one for which he had no easy solution. Eventually still tangled in his thoughts Seungcheol goes to sleep.

Morning comes as usual for Jeonghan, waking up with Joshua shouting in his ears about how they'll be late for their class if Jeonghan even takes a second more to sleep. After being smacked by his pillow, Jeonghan eventually wakes up.

"Get up right now," Joshua says as he tugs at Jeonghan's hands to get him out of bed. Jeonghan rolls his eyes at Joshua before walking into the bathroom to wash himself. After a small chit-chat over their regular breakfast, they head to their classes.

"So, how was your date yesterday? Hm?" Joshua wiggles his brows at Jeonghan, who groans, pushing him away as he brushes his fingers through his hair.

"It wasn't a date," Jeonghan says with a side glare to Joshua, who rolls his eyes at him. "And I got his phone number," he adds, making Joshua snap his head at him in full speed.