Chapter 22: Broken trust

"Seungcheol? What are you doing here?" Jeonghan's voice carried a mix of surprise and confusion as he turned around to face Seungcheol, who stood there fidgeting with his hands. The dim light of the room cast shadows on Seungcheol's face, accentuating the nervousness etched into his features as he approached Jeonghan.

Why was he here? Had he also stumbled upon that note? No, it couldn't be. Then what brought him here? A simple greeting? That seemed implausible, even absurd.

Jeonghan observed Seungcheol's struggle to articulate his thoughts, noticing the way his gaze flitted everywhere but to meet Jeonghan's eyes. "Cheol? You okay?" Jeonghan's voice softened with concern, his brow furrowing slightly.

Seungcheol finally met Jeonghan's gaze, his expression a mixture of anxiety and determination. With a heavy sigh, he nodded slowly. "Yes," he answered, his voice trembling slightly as he took a step closer to Jeonghan. "I want to tell you something," he admitted, his words hanging in the air with a palpable tension.

Jeonghan's frown deepened, his curiosity piqued as he awaited Seungcheol's revelation, the atmosphere heavy with anticipation and uncertainty.

"It's about... um..." Seungcheol's voice trailed off, his mouth opening and then closing awkwardly as he struggled to find the right words. His heart pounded in his chest, the rhythmic thud echoing loudly in his ears. The weight of uncertainty pressed down on him, suffocating him with each passing second.

How would Jeonghan react? The thought gnawed at him, filling him with a deep-seated fear. Would Jeonghan be upset? Would he withdraw, distancing himself from Seungcheol? The mere possibility sent shivers down Seungcheol's spine, each scenario playing out in his mind like a nightmare.

Every option seemed equally daunting, each outcome laden with the potential for heartache and regret. The turmoil churned within Seungcheol, twisting his stomach into knots and clouding his thoughts. It was driving him to the brink of madness, the uncertainty consuming him from the inside out.

Should he just confess and face the inevitable reaction? The thought lingered in Seungcheol's mind, a beacon of clarity amidst the storm of his emotions. After all, it was only a matter of time before the truth came to light.

Whether through chance or circumstance, Jeonghan would eventually discover that Seungcheol was the one behind those notes. Why not seize control of the situation and confess now, sparing himself the agony of prolonged secrecy?

But even as the thought crossed his mind, Seungcheol hesitated, his fear and doubt holding him back. The prospect of laying bare his feelings, of exposing his vulnerability to Jeonghan, was a daunting one. Yet, deep down, he knew that it was a risk he had to take. For better or for worse, the truth had to be told.

"Say..." Jeonghan's voice broke through Seungcheol's thoughts, pulling him back to the present moment. He watched as Seungcheol seemed to drift off once again, his expression a mixture of apprehension and uncertainty.

Okay, here goes nothing..

"Jeonghan, I want to tell you that... the one behind those anonymous notes--" Seungcheol's voice wavered, each word heavy with the weight of confession, but before he could finish, Jeonghan's interruption sliced through the air, his curiosity evident in the intensity of his gaze fixed on Seungcheol.

"You know who it is?" Jeonghan's question hung in the air, demanding an answer, and Seungcheol found himself struggling to maintain eye contact, his heart racing with apprehension. When did it become so challenging to meet Jeonghan's gaze, to hold onto the courage needed for this moment?

"Yes," Seungcheol managed to reply, the word slipping past lips that felt suddenly dry, his breath catching in his throat as he prepared for Jeonghan's reaction.

"Who is it? Why didn't you tell me before if you knew?" Jeonghan's hand landed dramatically on Seungcheol's shoulder, the sudden contact jolting him out of his thoughts and adding to the tension that crackled between them like electricity.

"Come on, tell me! Who is it?" Jeonghan's impatience was palpable, his eagerness almost tangible in the air that surrounded them, but Seungcheol knew there was no turning back now.

"It's me," Seungcheol confessed, the words hanging between them like a heavy fog, thick with uncertainty and anticipation, as he awaited Jeonghan's response, his heart pounding with a mixture of fear and hope.

The confession lingered in the air, creating a pregnant pause that seemed to stretch on endlessly. Seungcheol's heart hammered against his ribcage, each beat echoing in the silence that enveloped them. He braced himself for Jeonghan's reaction, unsure of what to expect.

For a moment, there was only stillness, as if time itself had frozen, holding its breath along with them. Then, slowly, Jeonghan's expression softened, the intensity in his eyes giving way to a flicker of surprise, then understanding.

"You?" Jeonghan's voice was barely a whisper, filled with a mixture of disbelief and realization. His hand remained on Seungcheol's shoulder, a gentle anchor in the sea of uncertainty.

Seungcheol nodded, his throat tight with emotion, unable to tear his gaze away from Jeonghan's searching eyes. He waited, holding his breath, for Jeonghan's next words, his heart hanging in the balance between hope and fear.

"You mean to say, the one behind all those notes is... you?" The disbelief in Jeonghan's voice cut through the air like a knife, each word laced with a painful incredulity that struck Seungcheol to his core. He felt like punching his own guts out at the sight of Jeonghan's stunned expression.

"Yes," Seungcheol managed to choke out, his throat constricted with guilt and regret. "But it was never my intention to make you so worried, I swear--" His words faltered as he watched Jeonghan remain immobile, his silence more deafening than any words could be.

Seungcheol's heart twisted painfully as he witnessed the turmoil raging behind Jeonghan's eyes. The weight of his own actions bore down on him, a heavy burden he couldn't shake off. He had never wanted to hurt Jeonghan, never meant for his gestures to cause such distress. Yet, here they were, standing on the precipice of a shattered trust, and Seungcheol didn't know how to bridge the gap between them.

"Jeonghan..." Seungcheol called out, his voice tinged with desperation, but Jeonghan seemed to be lost in his own thoughts, his gaze distant and unfocused.

"I'm sor--" Seungcheol's apology was cut short as he watched Jeonghan take hesitant steps backwards, a pang of anguish shooting through his heart. Was Jeonghan walking away from him?

"Jeonghan, listen--" Seungcheol's plea fell on deaf ears as Jeonghan turned on his heels and started to run. Seungcheol's heart clenched painfully at the sight, his own feet rooted to the ground as he watched Jeonghan's figure grow smaller in the distance.

Jeonghan's footsteps echoed in Seungcheol's ears, each one a painful reminder of his own failure to communicate, to mend what was broken. He wanted to reach out, to chase after Jeonghan and beg for forgiveness, but fear held him back, paralyzing him in place. He watched helplessly as Jeonghan disappeared into the distance, taking with him the fragments of Seungcheol's shattered heart.

-----

-Vaish

(This is my fav Verkwan fanart so far..)

It's so hot nowadays, the heat is getting to my head ig..anyways, stay safe and healthy guys! Bye 🫂