Chapter 10

"Carlos.." I start. At a loss for words. It was a beautiful purse and lovely gift. But it was too much. I've never received a gift of this kind. I didn't know how to react. "Before you start let me just say what I need to say. Don't over think it. Just accept the bag. I wasn't sure what to get you. My mom and sisters always say 'whenever in doubt, get a woman a nice purse'. You were on my mind everyday for these last two weeks I've been gone racing. I've thought about your son too. I want to do this. With both of you." He says and gives me a sincere smile. His eyes soft and gleaming. "What if you're saying that now and later change your mind?" I say scared.
          "I won't. I'd be crazy if I did. You're everything I want. I just know it. My heart is telling me. And I admit I was nervous, scared even, to meet your son. But now? I can't explain it. You've don't an amazing job raising him. You deserve the world and more. You both do. I want to be here for him, a paternal figure if you'll let me. I want you. Be mine Hermosa. I want to claim you to the world and show you off. I want to spoil you and give you the world. You have me going mad." He explains in a deep breath. "Carlos, I- I haven't been with anyone in six years. I'm sure you've had more experience. What if I'm not what you expected or want." I babble. "You don't know that. I get you're scared, but at least give it a try. I don't want to push you and I'll respect your feelings and boundaries" he sighs. "I'm falling for you. Hard." He whispers but I hear him.
       I don't know what comes over me but I get up from the stool and walk until I'm right in front of him. Sitting on the stool makes him my equal height. I go in without a second thought. I place my hands on his thighs and connect our lips. He instantly melts with me. He opens his legs wider so I can stand in between them and places his arms around me with his hands on my lower back. In that moment, everything stopped. Time. The world. It was just him and I. His lips were perfect. Better than anything I could've imagined. He tries to skip his tongue in and I allow him.
Suddenly, I hear footsteps quickly approaching. I quickly pull back and take a step back just in time. "Mami I'm ready for bed." He tells me. Still not happy I'm making him go to sleep. "You know the deal amor. Bed time! Or you'll be extra fussy in the morning. Now come say goodbye to Carlos. And thank him again for the generous gift." I say to him with a smile so big, my face starts to hurt. He walks towards Carlos who gets up from the stool and looks down at my little boy. "Goodbye Carlos, thank you so so much for the gift. And thank Charles for me too, I found his signed driver card at the bottom of the bag too." Happiness and excitement evident on his face. "I hope to see you again. Goodnight." He finished and he goes to take a step forward but hesitates.
Carlos takes a step to Eli and crouches down. I didn't expect his next move. He wraps Eli into a hug. But he doesn't let go right away. They stay in that position for a couple seconds. I realize then that Carlos was whispering something to him. Once they finally let go and Carlos stands back up, Eli looks at me with the biggest smile he's ever had. "Say yes mami. I want you to be happy. We will all be happy. Goodnight" and he runs off to his room. "What did you say to him? I've never seen him this happy." I stare at Carlos, as if staring will give me an answer. "Be mine hermosa? My girlfriend." He has a huge smile, teeth and everything. He's smiling as big as Eli was a moment ago. "You asked my son for permission?" I'm lost. "I know how much he means to you" he answers. "I think I'm falling for you too... Yes Carlos. I will be your girlfriend." I nod happily and he comes in for a kiss.
"You have no idea how happy
You make me" he says as he breaks out kiss. He has on hand on my waist, the other caressing my face, his thumb in front of my ear and his other fingers wrapped around the back of my neck. "I know you haven't had any kind of relationship since Eli's dad, I want to take this slow. At whatever pace you want or need. I won't push for more than I think you're ready for." God he was perfect. "Thank you." I whisper looking up at him.
"It's a beautiful bag, thank you. Really." I assure him. "It's getting late. I should get going, can I see you tomorrow?" He says softly. "I get out of work around 2:45pm and then I pick up Eli... do you want to come over for dinner again?" I say nervously. "No worries hermosa, if you're ok with me coming for dinner, I'd be happy to spend time with you guys." He exclaims. "Anything I can bring? Please don't hesitate to ask." He adds. I nod shyly. "Thank you for today. With Eli, for the gifts. Everything." I couldn't express how happy I was. Everything went great. "I'll get going. Say goodnight to the little man for me. I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight Cariño." He gives me one final kiss and I walk him out the door. I lock the door behind him and stand there processing everything. Carlos Sainz is my boyfriend. He wants to be there for me and my son. How did someone like me end up here? What a day.
         I got changed and ready for bed. I tossed and turned. Thinking back to his perfect lips. So full, luscious. Eli seemed to be very taken with him. And Carlos was just amazing with him. I really hoped things would be good. I made sure my alarms were set and on, I tried to force myself to fall asleep, it took an hour before I finally succumbed to today's events and shut my eyes.

   The next day

           I send Carlos a good morning text.
      Me: Good morning ;) hope you have a great day with whatever you have going on. I can't wait to see you for dinner again.

        I grab my clothes for work and head to the bathroom. I hear moment from out in the hall and assume it's Cass, Elias would never voluntarily be up this early. 25 minutes later I exit the bathroom and go to wake up my sweet boy. It's a struggle at first but eventually he gets up. I leave him his clothes ready for him and walk to the kitchen. To my surprise Cass has the coffee and waffles ready. "'Morning!" She greets enthusiastically. "Who are you and where's my bestie?!" I pretend to be scared and look around panicked. "Ha ha bitch." "Morning. What's got you so sunshine and bubbles?" I ask her tilting my head, studying her.
         "Nothing. Just had a good night's sleep. You have to thank Carlos for me again, that purse is to die for!! Throw it in my coffin when I die." She says seriously but I know she's joking... or I hope she is. "You can thank him, he's coming for dinner again. He wants to spent as much as he can with Eli and I." I tell her. "Ughh how cute. He's so dreamy, you got yourself a good one sis.!" She cheers at me. "He asked me to be his girlfriend before he left. He even asked Elias for his permission to ask me." I say catching her up. She almost drops her coffee mug from excitement and behind squealing and jumping up softly. "Ahhhh!!!" She comes around the kitchen island and gives me a half hug. "You deserve this. Him." She reminds me.

            Eli and I are walking to his school, we just turned a corner from our apartment building when my phone starts ringing.
    Incoming call: Carlos 🤍
     I answer quickly.
    "Good morning hermosa, how are you this morning?" He greets so kindly.
    "I'm good. Eli and I are walking to school. And you? What are your plans a today?" I return the question.
      "I'm great. My new go-karting organization is opening this weekend here in Madrid, so I have some things I need to wrap up and finish today to have everything ready." Eli mentioned something about how Carlos was creating a Go-Kart organizing.
      "That sounds exciting. I hope everything goes to planned!" I wish him.
       "Thank you! Dinner at the same time tonight? Need me to bring anything?" He offers.  
      "Yes, same time. And no it's fine I swear. We had desert yesterday so none today, I don't want your manager coming for me." I joke. "Is that Carlos? Tell him I said morning mami!" Eli tugs on my dress shirt exciting and I quickly calm him down before he makes my shirt all ugly.
       "Elias says good morning" I chuckle.
       "Tell him I say good morning as well. And I'm wishing him a good day at school!"
      We continued talking for a couple more minutes before I told him I had to go as we reached the school and he got up to get ready for his day. We'd see each other later and text throughout the day.