Chapter 44

Alex's POV

I don't know how long we were in that closet, embracing one another, not moving an inch. But, from how the sunlight coming from the window was nearly gone, I knew it was a long time.

At one point, I started lightly playing with Taylor's ears. It was kind of funny whenever they twitched or flickered, it made me giggle and that seemed to make Taylor even more happy.

When the door opened, both me and Taylor looked and saw Star look inside. Our eyes connected and she let out a sigh of relief, shaking her head as she smiled.

"You know," She stared, stepping inside and walking over to the two of us. "if you're gonna be hiding away in a tiny storage room, it'll probably be best if you told us and your warriors, Tay."

Taylor softly smiled at Star as I shifted to face the dragon, sitting so my back was against Taylor's chest. She rewrapped her arms around my waist, pulling me close once again. "Sorry, love. Bit of a tough day today."

Star just shook her again while smiling. "It's alright. I'm just glad the two are you are alright. Now, let's go before the warriors panic even more." Nodding her head, Taylor let me get off her lap before standing up.

I stretched my aching and numb muscles, there was a weird feeling in them that I didn't like. This is one of the many reasons why I don't stay in one place for too long.

The three of us left the tiny closet and wandered back to the training grounds. Upon getting there, some of Taylor's warriors rushed over to us, worried mixed with relief expressions. That's when my mate put back her stone cold expression on. "Alpha! We were so worried about you when you didn't return after Lady Alexandra went to look for you."

One warrior exclaimed, him and the others bowing on one knee when they got to us. I felt my blush return, wondering on how this man knew my full name. It's embarrassing when people say my full name. I don't like it.

"Uh?" Taylor glared down at them, rubbing the back of her neck. "And why would you? I was only gone for a few hours. What? My warriors don't like it when they're alone? Is that it?"

I covered my mouth to hold back my laughter, finding Taylor's teasing amusing. Looking to my left, I saw Star doing the same thing.

The warrior shook his head, looking slightly panic. "N-No! That's not it at all." Taylor tilted her head to the side. "Well, it sure sounds like it."

A small laugh escaped Star. She patted Taylor's shoulder as she began walking away, taking my free hand into hers. "We're off. Don't pummel them too badly." Looking behind us, Taylor watched us grinned. "No promises, love."

Giggling, I turned away and looked back at Star as we entered the forest. Taking the familiar path that took us to Emma's castle. "How was the meeting with your council?" She groaned. "That bad?"

"The worst, little wolf." Star sighed, running her hand through her long, crimson hair. "Those old lizards have been in the council for over a thousand years. They're stuck in their old ways and it's really tiring, especially because we need to change if us dragons want to survive due to all the changes going on in the world now."

I grew worried when hearing that. "What's wrong with the dragons? Are they're all okay?" Star stayed quiet for a moment, thinking. "Human expression and them tearing down forests for their own sake is making it more difficult for the non-humans to stay hidden. Especially when humans are exploring everything.

And since most dragons are so huge, we're one of the most affected by this. We can no longer fly long distances without using magic to stay hidden, and only few dragons have the ability to hide themselves or even transform into a human form. So, they're stuck where they are. Plus, the lack of food."

Star's expression became grim. "It's not like we can expose ourselves to the humans either. There'll be chaos. A lot more death that we can't handle at the moment. And last time we did that many, many years ago, the dragons nearly became extinct."

My hand holding Star's tighten. "Can I ask question?" She nodded her head. "What happened to the humans that found out about our  existence during the war? Some people were bound to know on accident by how big it was."

"Do you know why the guardians became a thing?" I shook my head. I wanted to ask the others but was too shy to. "It's so they could protect the non-humans. To this day, there's vampire, werewolf, and witch hunters. At one point there were pirates that hunted the sea creatures, and when there were human kingdoms, normal humans hunted anything different.

All of the non-human species nearly became extinct time and time again with a few dying out. So, the guardians became a thing, a group of individuals that swear to protect and keep hidden our secret with no bias. And when the rare occasion of humans finding out, one of two things happen. One, they'll lose their memories."

She paused. I let go of her hand, stopping in my tracks. Star also stopped walking, looking back at me. I gulped. "And...two?"

"They were killed." My eyes widened slightly, with my mouth agape. Star tilted her head, her eyes now empty but with a hint of sadness still in them.

"Do you want to know why the war happened, Alex? Why the orcs suddenly attacked the werewolves? It was because, a human found out about us. And he orchestrated everything so we could take ourselves out. He's even the reason why some of the former rulers of our five kingdoms are dead."

-

Author: What a plot twist right? Anyways, I'm making/putting out another story since I'm impatient and like to overwork myself to the bone 🥰🥲 It's called Rouge Alpha Queen, it's kind of similar to "My Mates Are Queens!?" but is probably better.