Part 35 - The Old Hatred

This chapter goes to Sylphine for voting on every chapter. And thank you, to everyone who takes the time to press that little star.

The cottage was ordinary. So ordinary, in fact, that it was interesting. I couldn't help wondering how this house managed to be so unspeakably average. It was a detached building with white-washed walls, the only decoration a trellis of roses. I stood at the end of the stone path which led right to the oaken front door. And I didn't want to take another step.

An ordinary house, I reminded myself. Ordinary people. Absolutely nothing to worry about, not when I could face off snarling werewolves without a care. Why then, did I feel so nervous?

Shallow breathing, tingling in my stomach and sweat on my forehead — all of these were the symptoms of nerves. And I'd never felt any of them before. Fear, I'd certainly felt. I knew how to deal with fear. But this? Not even the foggiest clue.

Because it was a new experience — having to worry about fitting in. My place amongst the rogues had been unquestionable since I'd entered Rhodric's care. I knew nothing about having to integrate myself with new people — make them like me, even.

So. How should I socialise with an average packling? Did they talk about the weather? Gardening? Their neighbours? I didn't know shit about any of it. Well, except that it never stopped raining in Wales. And that didn't exactly make for interesting conversation.

"Alright there?" Jace's absent-minded question pulled me out of my thoughts. Ollie and Leo turned around to stare.

"Uh ... yeah. Fine," I muttered hurriedly.

Without giving myself a chance to work myself up any further, I started walking along the crooked stones. The others followed, my flock of faithful sheep. But I needed to siphon off a few of them, so I fixed my stare at a picnic bench in the garden.

"Game of cards, Alpha Jace?" Ollie suggested. He understood my idea effortlessly, as always.

The Alpha shrugged, although I was sure his sharp eyes hadn't missed the exchange. "Sure. But I should warn you — bet sensibly."

Ollie's answering smile was nervous, but as soon as Jace's back was turned, all the uncertainty vanished. The smirk on his face was nothing short of evil. And for good reason. Although I knew he was a hustler and a cheat, and so did most of Last Haven, poor Jace didn't have a clue. The Alpha's wallet would soon be significantly lighter.

With those two sat at the picnic bench, Ollie making a show of clumsily shuffling cards, I found myself at a standstill. Until an arm slipped around my shoulder, warm and reassuring. Leo sighed, "Oh, Skye. I don't give a shit if they like you. Their opinion doesn't change a damn thing."

"So there is a good chance they won't like me?"

"Well..." He nodded grudgingly. "I told you — typical flockies. We get along okay now, but there is a reason I ran away from home."

My shoulders tensed under his arm. "You ran away?"

"That's how I ended up with the rogues. And when Bran was sent away, I was sent with him. To spy — keep an eye out and all that. But if I'd stayed ... then I guess we might have grown up together."

"I'd have liked that." It was true. Things might have been so different. Especially if the waterfall incident had never happened. Because then ... Brandon might be with us right now, as much a brother to me as Rhys. It was a scary thought.

Rhodric would still be at Lle o Dristwch, I reckoned, and leading. Maybe Fion would have had a loving mate, not a hateful one. Davies would definitely still be alive. It seemed so easy — for the threads of fate to tangle. One shove in a heated moment had jolted my world from its axle.