Part 68 - Pulling Strings

Urgh. Wattpad hates me. I write in Word, then copy and paste across for the sake of a British spell checker. The problem is, it doesn't keep italic text. I have to go through, finding all the right words and changing them back to italic every. single. chapter. And it doesn't even do it first time. Oh no, I usually have to save three or four times before the damn things stay sloping. Anyway, rant over. How are we all? Exhausted after another week of school? I certainly am.

"Well, well, well," Miller smirked. "Look what we have here."

He motioned with one hand and six officers moved in with hot weapons. One of them pinned my hands behind my back while the other handcuffed them in place. Then they frisked me, stealing anything and everything remotely suspicious (which was quite a lot). To my left and right, Leo and Kara were receiving similar treatment.

Miller walked down his line of captives, humming an unfamiliar tune. It took every ounce of my control not to shift on the spot and let loose. My wolf was pissed, and that was putting it mildly. Displaced anger at the hunters had mixed with rage at Leo's father and a little bit of hatred for the authorities thrown in there. I mean, just look at their name. The authorities. There were few things that rogues despised more.

"You, I know," Miller said to me. Then he looked at Leo and Kara. "You're a new face, lad. And as for you ... well, you're an old face on a new body. Twins?"

"Twins," Kara agreed. "She's the evil one."

"Yeah, that's exactly what the evil twin would say," I replied smarmily.

Miller hauled me to my feet and frog-marched me away from the car. "Alright, smartass. All I'm going to say is that if you're the good twin, I dread to think what she's like."

They loaded us into a police van together. It was a very cramped space for three people, and there were no seatbelts to be seen. The minute we were left alone, Kara rounded on me with fury in her eyes. "You're wanted by the fricking secret service? Couldn't you have warned me? They're going to do me as an accomplice, aren't they?"

"Maybe," I admitted. "If it's any consolation, I happen to be very good at cards. Or at least ... cheating at cards. We can hustle the other prison inmates and live like royalty. They can smuggle in anything these days, you know."

The glare she gave me reminded me disturbingly of my own temper tantrums. Leo just shook his head, grinning. "Rhys was right. This is fun. It's like watching Skye argue with herself."

We ended up at the same police station as last time, except it had been thoroughly revamped. They had invested in one-way glass and secure holding cells, while practically doubling security. The improvements were no doubt on our account. The officers spilt us up to incarcerate us. Kara began fighting back when she saw bars. I didn't blame the girl, considering how she'd grown up.

I brushed against her mind, trying to calm her down. It didn't achieve very much, but the police managed to lock her up on their own, judging from the change in her mentality. The fear that had been rolling off her in waves turned to brooding anger. Fion would have been better at soothing the girl through the link. I missed her. My siblings were absent more often than not recently.

They had spared no expense to secure potential serial killers. I had my hands cuffed behind my back and my ankles chained to the floor. Not to mention the double set of cell bars between myself and the interrogators. Miller must have decided it wasn't safe to be in the same room as me after what had happened last time.

"We have been tracking you for nearly eight months, you know," Miller informed me casually. He was leaning against a brick wall, regarding his prisoners with malicious interest.