Part 37 - Marching On

The next few days passed in a blur of disbelief and preparations. I was still trying to wrap my head around everything Fion had told me, but I didn't think a lifetime would be long enough to make sense of it all. So partially to distract myself and partially because I needed to, I organised the trip to Ember Pack. That involved more work than you'd think — everything from route planning to packing.

But I did forget to choose the other eleven fighters until a minute before we were due to leave.

"I can ask around," Ollie assured me. "It shouldn't be too difficult."

I zipped and unzipped my jacket. "Well, they need to be ready to go now. Like right now. Oh — and make sure that everyone's unmated or their mates are coming too. I don't want to bereave anyone."

Rhys arrived, having said goodbye to Maggie. She wasn't thrilled that we were leaving. I had already received my hour-long lecture on safety and caution. But she understood why it was necessary. Every day that passed, more wolves from Ember were being stripped of their humanity, and that only added to the ferals we would have to fight.

My second counted our tiny group — Leo, Rhys, Fion and me. "So as you four are going and I have to stay behind, do you need eight more?"

"Nine," I corrected. "Fion is staying here."

There was no way she could risk the baby in a fight, she'd told me. Whether she had chosen to carry that child or not, she thought she still had a responsibility to take care of it. Which meant I would spend the next week deprived of my sister's genius. But this way I could rest assured knowing that Last Haven would be safe in her — and Ollie's — capable hands.

Rhys and Leo knew this already, or they would have kicked up a bigger fuss. It had been explained as a personal decision, based on Fion's wishes. I already knew Rhys, at least, didn't believe it. Although we had explained none of that bullshit to Ollie, he just raised his eyebrows and didn't comment.

"Okay ... nine fighters."

"And make sure they know there's a good chance we'll die slowly and painfully," Rhys added. "Anyone who volunteers after that is brave enough for me."

Ollie rolled his eyes. "Fine. Nine suicidal killing machines. Just don't blame me if they're all nutcases."

He grinned in that careless way and slung his arm over his friend's shoulder. "At least nutcases contain nuts. You're just a pansy, Oll."

"Hey, I asked to come. Skye's the one who said no."

"Yes, I did," I agreed. "Because you two give me headaches when you're together. Now say goodbye, boys, and find a way to cope with the separation anxiety."

It was worth it, just to see their looks of disgust and the way they jumped apart. Leo, Fion and I made sure to have a long laugh at their expense, while Ollie quickly excused himself to round up the troops.

Someone nudged my shoulder and I glanced around to see a familiar smirking face. "Did I hear something about slow and painful deaths?" Ryker asked. As usual, I didn't have to look far past him to see Emmett. Those two seemed inseparable.

"Oh yeah," Rhys said, "very dangerous mission — we won't all survive."

Emmett nodded amiably. "Count us in, please. It's been getting boring around here."

"Sure. Welcome aboard."

It was then that Ollie returned, herding a group of people towards us. I wasn't surprised to see these particular volunteers — the twins, Tally and Sophie, all of whom had proved themselves in both training and real combat. Sophie's presence unnerved me, though. Every glimpse of her misery and loneliness reminded me exactly whose fault it was.