Part 55 - Starting Over

Hello again! We're back! It's been six months since the ferals and Skye is more badass than ever before. If you haven't yet, make sure to check out my other book, the Midnight Watch #shamelessplug lol. Media has come out as well, so I'm gonna be having a lot of fun messing with that.

Hey guys, did you know that if you press at the bottom of the page and press on the little star, it turns orange! Isn't that cool? Anyway, on with the story.

Maggie was brandishing a wooden spoon with terrifying ferocity. "Skye! I swear to the Goddess, if you don't get out of my kitchen, I'm going to be experimenting with a new type of meat in the Sunday roast."

"Right, cannibalism. Got it. I'll be gone in a few seconds," I assured her casually, while reaching over with one hand to steal a hot biscuit.

But nothing got past Rhys's grandmother. The wooden spoon descended and dealt my hand a stinging blow.

"Leave it!" she bellowed. Half of the kitchen workers stopped what they were doing to watch the scene, which didn't sit too well with Maggie either. "Back to work, you nosy sods. There's nothing to see here."

Yeah, nothing except the fearsome Luna of Rogues being told off for stealing cookies.

"Remind me why you're here?" Maggie asked.

"Fion wants food again," I explained with a sigh.

"What is it this time?" She was as used to the weird carvings as I was at this point.

"Uh..." I was forced to realise that somewhere between the castle and the plate of cookies, I had completely forgotten the order for today. Either I could run all the way back to ask her, or I could assume it was the same as yesterday, but that ... that was a dangerous game to play.

"Sprouts and ice-cream with gravy," a voice piped up from behind me.

I didn't have to turn to know it was Rhys. He had been the perfect model of how to look after a pregnant werewolf ever since he had first felt the baby kick. Me, on the other hand ... let's just say he was putting me to shame.

"Again?" Maggie said with a grimace. "I'll call you in ten minutes or so. Until then, clear off!"

We were forced to obey the order when she seized the wooden spoon again. I wouldn't have been surprised to learn that the first hit had broken a bone, so I didn't feel like trying her patience for a second time. As soon as we were safely out of spoon range, I seized Rhys's arm.

"It's my turn to get the food," I grumbled.

"Uh huh." He reached into a pocket and, to my horror, produced one of Maggie's hot cookies. How on earth did he manage it?

"So? Don't you trust me?" I demanded. Yes, it was true that I had screwed up, but that didn't mean Rhys needed to know.

"I was actually just coming to tell you that Fion changed her mind about the side order of pomegranate seeds." Rhys eyed me strangely as he snapped the cookie in half and offered some to me. I accepted it with a grin.

"Kids, come and hear this," Rhodric called from the other side of the courtyard.

I reluctantly stuffed the remaining cookie into my mouth and trailed after Rhys. It was supposed to be my day off. Rhodric and I were sharing the workload so I could spend some quality time with Fion. Her heavy stomach was confining her to a tower room of the castle, and she was getting lonely up there.

"Carry on," Rhodric told Emmett when we arrived.

The new leader of our patrols was slouching up against the wall with his hands in his pockets. As usual, Ryker wasn't all that far away — on this occasion, he was mingling with some of the builders.