chapter three

I woke up the next morning to the insistent beeping noise of my annoying alarm. I groaned and rolled over about to make it stop when I noticed I wasn't alone.

"What do you want Chris?"

"What did you and my dad do last night?" he asked.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you two went out last night and when you came back he locked himself in his room and started to break stuff. So what happened?"

"I'm not entirely sure, actually," I admitted.

"Well figure it out and fix it," he commanded.

He turned and left my room. I ran my hands through my hair and sat down on the edge of the bed. I stayed there for a few minutes trying to sort through what happened last night. I didn't come up with anything so I got up and picked out clothes for the day and got into the shower.

'Why does life have to be so complicated?' I wondered. 'Why can't it be simple and easy?'

I climbed out and tied the towel around my waist, I blow dried my hair and pulled a brush through it. Once I deemed my hair decent enough for public, I brushed my teeth and put on my black skinny jeans, black vanns, a white wife beater and a red flannel.

I walked to Sadie's room and knocked on her door.

"Sadie are you up, yet?" I called.

"Yeah," she said opening the door. She was wearing a black shirt with a butterfly on it, black tights, a purple tutu and white and purple sketchers.

"Good. Let's go get breakfast then I'll take you shopping, okay?" I asked. She nodded her head eagerly and skipped downstairs.

"Good morning, Lexi," I greeted happily, last night's strange occurrences already forgotten.

She ignored me and continued making breakfast. I sat down at the table. Lexi dropped a plate in front of me. 'I wonder what's wrong with her?' I thought but shrugged it off and began to eat.

"Typical," she mumbled, huffed and turned away.

Tristan walked up like he was going to come in but saw me and turned and walked away. I slid out of my seat and followed after him but he was faster and locked himself in his office, I glared at the door for moment before going back to the kitchen. I quickly finished my food and told Sadie who was already done to get her jacket.

It was a twenty minute drive to the mall. When we got there Sadie dragged me from store to store for almost three hours before she was satisfied with her wardrobe.

"So we can go home now?" I asked.

"Yeah," she confirmed but then her stomach growled. "Come on I'll buy you some cinnamon pretzels from Auntie Anne's," I offered. She did a little cheer and pulled me in the direction of the food court.

It took nearly another hour to get Sadie to leave the mall. When we got home, I heard two voices arguing in the kitchen. I couldn't make out most of what they were saying but I knew it was Lexi and Tristan, I heard, "you almost defiled him...," that was Lexi, "...I know..." Tristan, "...watch yourself" Lexi again. I heard footsteps come towards me so I ran towards the stairs.

'Thank god, they were to wrapped up in their argument to hear me,' I thought as I lay on my bed trying to sort out what I'd heard.

I got on my laptop and played Minecraft to clear my head. I played on survival mode and was dropped into a cluster of creepers. Once they were all dead I found a safe area to build my house. I had perfected my little world when Chris came into my room with no warning.

"Are you okay?" he asked sounding genuinely concerned.

"Yeah, what makes you ask?"

"It's almost nine and you haven't left your room since you got back from shopping," he pointed out.

"Oh, sorry. I was playing Minecraft."

"You're hopeless. You remember you were suppose to talk to my dad, right?"

"I haven't gotten around to it yet. Get off my back about it." I snapped.

"Fine. I'll let you sit in here and mope by yourself but you will talk to him tomorrow," he said pointedly.

I saved my game, put my laptop away and tried to sleep. After two hours with no results I have up and went to get a snack from the kitchen. I grabbed four cookies and a glass off milk which I hoped would help me sleep.

"You okay?" Tristan asked from behind me.

"Yeah. Why do people keep asking me that?"

"Because you aren't acting like yourself," he offered, half seriously half sarcastically. "You look like shit. You should get some sleep."

"Gee, thanks. And I already know I need sleep but I just can't seem to fall asleep," I whined in a tired voice.

"Come here," he commanded opening his arms. I wasn't sure what he wanted but I trusted him enough to follow his orders, even after yesterday, so I walked over too him.

He wrapped his arms around me pulling me into his chest and rubbed small soothing circles into my back. I took a deep breathe and got a big whiff of his scent. I could feel my muscles relaxing and eyes getting heavier.I leaned heavily against him, almost asleep. He picked me up bridal style and carried me up stairs.