Chapter 13

We had just made it to the woods behind the house when we heard a gun shot.

"You won't make it out of those woods alive!" Jason yelled. "Come back and we'll forget this ever happened!"

"He's right." Luke said. "There's no way we're making it out of here alive with out a car. It's a long way to even the closest house, we don't have food or water or know where to go."

"Don't say that!" I snapped. "We'll figure something out, I'd rather die trying to escape than go back to that hell hole."

"You're right, I'm sorry. We need to put as much space between us and them as possible." Luke said grabbing my hand and taking me deeper into the woods.

We walked until we couldn't walk anymore.

"It's so hot out here." I said. "I need to sit down for a minute."

"Ok, but just for a minute." Luke said. We sat up against a tree in silence.

"Do you hear that?" I asked.

"Hear what?" Luke asked suddenly on guard.

"It sounds like.. running water." I said standing up and walking in the direction it was coming from.

Luke reluctantly followed. We walked for a few more minutes, the bushes were getting heavier and harder to walk through.

I pushed through, the water getting louder, Luke must have heard it to, because he suddenly had a hopeful look on his face.

The bushes cleared and when we stepped through we were at the top of small waterfall that led into a pool of water and continued as a stream through the woods. It was almost completely concealed by trees and bushes on one side and mountain on the other.

"Come on!" I said excitedly beginning to climb down the rocks towards the pool below.

We reached the bottom, and I immediately ran into the water.

"Luke! Come in, it feels amazing!" I said.

Luke looked hesitant at first, but followed me into the water.

We walked out until the water was a little over waist deep.

"Isn't this nice?" I asked. "I would have loved to find something like this, before all this happened.." I said drifting off into thought.

Before I knew it tears had formed behind my eyes and soon began rolling down my face.

"Hey, hey, it's ok." Luke said wrapping his arms around me. "We're going to make it out of here." I wrapped my arms around him and buried my face in his chest. We stayed that way for a while as Luke continued to comfort me.

I looked up at him, he really was quite attractive and I wondered how I'd never noticed him at school. Before I realized what I was doing I had kissed him.

"Sorry" I said turning away.

"For what?" Luke asked turning me back around to face him before kissing me back.

After a few minutes Luke pulled away quickly.

"Wha-" I asked as he covered my mouth with his hand.

"Jason, do you think they could have gone to the waterfall?" Blake yelled.

"Luke was never allowed to play in these woods when he was younger, he wouldn't know it was there." Jason yelled back.

I pointed to the waterfall, my heart pounding. We quickly but quietly moved towards it.

I ducked under hoping there was a clearing on the other side. I doubted Blake or Jason had spent time in the water to know if there was.