Part 4

~

"Just because you can not see your own beauty does not mean it does not exist."

-Unknown

~

The next morning as I hid behind the bleachers with Levi, Devon, and Michael once again sharing a blunt and getting high I decided to make it my mission to talk to Emma again today.

As the world around me began to become less clear I looked over towards the bench Emma was reading at yesterday and frowned as I noticed she wasn't there today.

Once the school bell rang I quickly stumbled into school to my first class of the day excited for my chance to speak to Emma, wherever she may be.

Time seemed to fly by, yet still felt like forever. By the time third period was ending, I still hadn't got even a glimpse of Emma and it was killing me. How is it so hard to find a girl and talk to her?

When the bell rang ending third period and starting lunch I quickly walked out of class. Since it's lunchtime there were two places she could be right now, either in the cafeteria or outside in the courtyard. But she would have to be crazy to be in the courtyard, it's nearly freezing today.

I quickly pushed through the crowd of students heading towards the cafeteria trying to get there faster, when I made it to the lunch room she wasn't there.

Maybe, she just isn't here yet? I took a seat at a random table and waited as students pooled in from the doors. The lunchroom was buzzing with life as it became full, but still no Emma.

I got up and left the lunch room, time to check the courtyard. She isn't going to be there, maybe she isn't here today? I thought as I walked down the hall.

The courtyard is pretty much an area outside with a few tables squared in between two hallways with glass walls showing the small yard.

As I looked out the glass wall of one of the halls I noticed the strangest thing. There Emma sat alone outside in the cold. I opened the door leading outside to the courtyard slowly.

Cold frosty air pooled in through the now open door. I hadn't thought to stop at my locker to get my jacket so I step out onto the snowy ground in only a thin sweater over a plain t-shirt and some jeans.

I walked over to the table Emma sat and sat down across from her. I couldn't help but stare at her. I finally found her. She looked beautiful.

Today she had the same jacket as the day before on, her hair in two long braids hanging down each side of her face with a red beanie atop her head. And, of course, large dark black glasses covering her eyes.

"Hey," I say finally finding the courage to say something. I've finally found her and now I've got nothing to say. "Daniel?" She asked softly. "Yeah, how did you know?" I asked curiously. It's not like she can look up and see me. "Your voice." She answered.

I didn't know what she meant by my voice but I didn't ask. I usually don't care how people thought of me but I don't want her to think I'm stupid for not understanding. It was silent between us after that.

The only sound is the howl of the cold wind.

I rubbed my hands together as I tried to warm them up but it was no use. It's too damn cold this time of year, I really fucking hate winter.

Technically, it was still fall but it felt a hell of a lot like winter.

Last time I was smart enough to wear gloves, I should have been smart enough to grab at least my jacket before coming out here.