Part 50

~

"You see us as you want to see us-- in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions."

- The Breakfast Club (1985)

~

It was strange to think that after seven months I would finally be leaving Paxen Hills today.

It's even stranger to think how much my life has changed in the last year.

People knew me as Daniel Fisher, the stoner. Now, I was just Daniel Fisher. No label, just Daniel.

And, being just Daniel was okay. For once in my life, I was actually okay.

I didn't have to constantly chase some high to be able to scrape by.

I knew that life outside these walls would be different. Things weren't going to be the same as how I left them. Because just like how I change in here, the world changed out there.

I knew that some days would be better than others and I knew some days would just be terrible. But, I also knew I didn't have to go through it alone anymore.

I wasn't afraid.

I only had one life. It wasn't perfect, but I was going to make the most of it.

"How are you feeling today, Daniel?" Dr.Goldman asked me. Her yellow hair is a tight bun.

"Great, I'm looking forward to what the future might bring," I answered with a smile.

"That's wonderful, you've made a lot of progress since you first came here. I'm really proud of you." Dr.Goldman said before standing up as she smiled at me.

"Remember, I've referred you to another doctor closer to where you live who you will still have to see once a week." She said reminding me. I nodded slowly.

She opened the room door. My mother quickly stood up from the chair she was sitting on.

We said our goodbyes to Dr.Goldman.

I knew if anything about Paxen Hills, I would miss my regular sessions with her.

My mom quickly signed my release papers before turning to me smiling. Her once long greying blonde hair cut short.

"Where's dad?" I asked in wonder.

At first, it was strange suddenly having my dad back in my life, but I was happy he was here.

We had gotten so much closer and made up for the lost time as he came to visit me three times a week. Sometimes, he would even bring me pictures and books.

"He is at the house with the others." She said answering my question.

I was excited to finally see everyone outside a small visiting room.

We began to walk outside in a happy silence.

Being outside again was like being reborn.

The leaves were a mix of orange, yellow, and green a sure sign summer was ending and it would soon be fall once again. The air held a slight breeze and the sky was clear.

"There is something I need to tell you. Something I wish I could have told you sooner." My mom said slowly as she stopped and turn to me.

I looked away from the trees to see her frowning.

"What is it, mom?" I asked in confusion. Suddenly, a car pulled up in front of us and a man stepped out.

Mr.Schindler?