Part 47

~

"I wish for all of us the blindness of love that makes us see no faults in the other."

-Kamand Kojouri

~

"So that's it. You're really leaving?" Levi asked in shock.

It had been two days since I agreed to go to rehab. I had spent most of the two days packing, getting to know my little sister and dad, and figuring out what I was gonna say to everyone before I left.

The usual group of us, plus Azeem, sat in Devon's basement for the last time. My dad had dropped me off an hour ago to tell them the news and say my goodbyes.

"Yeah," I said slowly as I watched all of their expressions. They all just seemed really surprised.

Suddenly I was being hugged.

"I'm gonna miss you, man," Azeem said as he squeezed me tightly. I couldn't help but laugh. In the short month that I'd known Azeem, he had really turned out to be a good friend. He had a way of making every moment seem a little lighter.

"I'm gonna miss you too, Double-A," I said playfully as I patted his back. He laughed as he let me go.

"We're all gonna miss you, dude. It won't be the same without you around." Michael said softly as he slung one of his arms around me and patted my back.

"You guys are so dramatic. You realize this isn't the end right?" Devon asked. Levi threw a pillow at him, but Devon quickly caught it. "I swear to god if you say this is just another beginning I'm going to use the next pillow to smother you." Levi threatened with an evil grin.

I was gonna miss this.

"I wasn't gonna say something so corny, I'm not Azeem." Devon quickly denied. "Hey!" Azeem pouted. "I was gonna say we're all still gonna be friends, even if Daniel is a few states away. We can just visit him." Devon finally finished.

"And, that's why Devon is the smart one out of us," Michael said easily with a smile. I would be offended if it weren't true.

"You guys would really come to visit me?" I asked as I looked down at the ground. Suddenly I was hit in the face with a pillow. "Of course we would, don't ask dumb questions." Levi sassed swiftly.

I was really gonna miss this. Sitting around with my friends and just hanging out.

For a moment, I almost felt like a normal teenager again.

"How long are you gonna be gone anyway?" Levi asked.

I shrugged. I didn't really know. However long it took, I guess.

"What about school?" Michael asked seeming interested.

"I'm pulling out. I'm going to see a tutor while I am at Paxen Hills so I don't fall behind and hopefully be back here in time to take my school finals." I said trying to hide how worried I was about all of it; trying to hide how worried I was about the future.

"And, if you aren't back before finals?" Devon asked sitting up.

I bit my lip. They all looked at me waiting for my answer.

"Then I'm going to have to repeat the year when I come back."

"Well shit, hurry up and get better then. Next year, senior year, we can't do that without you!" Levi said easily as if it were that simple. I rolled my eyes.

Before anyone could reply the basement door opened and footsteps rushed down. It was Grace.

She smiled at all of us. Her eyes lingering on Michael and then Levi a moment too long before they settled on me.