Part 31

~

"Nobody sees anybody truly but all through the flaws of their own egos. That is the way we all see ...each other in life. Vanity, fear, desire, competition-- all such distortions within our own egos-- condition our vision of those in relation to us."

-Tennessee Williams

~

Ever since I took that stupid fucking pill I've felt the hunger.

The need.

And, as much as I tried to pretend that I was fine I couldn't ignore it.

It was like with each passing day it only grew stronger. The stronger it grew the more it hurt to ignore.

I sat on my bed holding the baggy filled with pills.

Suddenly, my bedroom door opened. I quickly tucked the baggy under the side of my mattress before looking towards the door.

Emma stood at the door after leaving a while ago to use the bathroom.

I smiled. I was glad to see her. When she was around the voices in my head didn't scream as loudly.

She smiled at me before walking over and sitting next to me.

"You seem happy," I said softly. "Of course I am, I'm with you." She said before laughing.

"That didn't sound as cheesy in my head."

The smile on my face grew as she began to blush.

"Let's go out," I suggested.

She smiled. I lived to see her smile.

"Where do you want to go?"

Anywhere; I needed a distraction. I need something to make me forget about the voices altogether.

"Well, where do you want to go?" I asked back.

Since coming back from New York, I'd sometimes feel like there was this distance between us that wasn't there before. Other times, it felt like everything was fine. Like everything was good.

It was hard to tell if it was all in my head or if what I was feeling was real.

"I don't know. It was your idea to go somewhere." She said tiredly.

It was still strange to see her without her glasses. Her eyes were closed as she smiled softly.

She opened her eyes looking at nothing. Her eyebrows pulled together.

She rolled her eyes but grinned nonetheless. I guess all those times I thought she was rolling her eyes she probably was.

"Let's go driving. We can figure out where to as we go." I suggested.

She laughed.

"What's so funny?" I asked not getting the joke.

She turned to me. "Sorry, but when you said that I couldn't help but imagine you saying something like 'it's about the journey, not the destination or some shit'." She said dropping her voice to do a really bad impression of me.

"I don't sound like that." I disagreed but smiled nonetheless. "Sorry, to burst your bubble, but you sound just like that." She argued.

I sighed before getting up.

"Are we going or not?" I questioned. "Of course we're going." She said simply.

"I'll be right back, I'll grab our jackets," I said before heading downstairs.