Part 12

~

" If I were a flower, hummingbird would be my favorite bee. And If I were blind, the light of darkness I'd love to see."

-Munia Khan

~

"So are you guys screwing or what?" Levi asked crudely as he laid on my bed. Michael was sitting next to him while looking down at his phone.

Devon wasn't here because he's been on lockdown since Friday after taking the blame for breaking his sisters' play station.

He couldn't exactly tell his mother the truth either.

"It's not like that," I said with a sigh. I dipped the paintbrush I was holding into some blue paint.

"It sure seems like that. You guys were all over each other at Devon's house." Levi pushed as he sat up and grabbed my sketchbook from my bedside table.

I smiled at the memory of the feeling of her soft skin against mine. Her mouth on mine. Her silky hair between my fingers. Her fingers wrapped tightly around my...collar.

"Well, it's not, mind your own fucking business," I said in annoyance as I mixed the blue and green paint together.

"Are you two dating then?" Michael said curiously. I sighed.

Are we dating?

I'm not really sure.

I mean we act like a couple and shit but, we never really said we were a couple and shit.

"I don't know man, it's complicated," I said as I carefully painted on my canvas.

"How is it complicated? You're infatuated with her, she seems to tolerate you. So ask her out." Micheal said as if it were that simple.

I couldn't focus on my painting with all their talking.

"Firstly, I am not infatuated with her. Second, not like you would know, but that's not how this shit works with girls." I said in defense at I put my brush down in water.

"Firstly, if you're not infatuated with her then what the fuck are all those?" He said as he motioned towards the canvases lined against my wall of half-finished attempts of Emma.

I could feel my face going red as I quickly walked across the room and covered my failed attempts to capture her likeness.

I've tried again and again but I can't ever seem to capture her spirit on the dullness of paper or canvas.

"And secondly, if it's really that complicated with girls then I'm glad I don't have to deal with them," Micheal said finishing.

"Holy shit, man," Levi said looking up towards me before I could reply to Micheal.

"What?" I asked as I ran my fingers through my matted hair.

"You're really talented. You used to be really good before, but shit, You've gotten even better." Levi said as he flipped through the pages of my sketchbook.

I awkwardly cleared my throat before said "Ugh..thanks." in embarrassment.

Michael sat up and looked at my sketchbook over Levi's shoulder.

"He's right, you're really good. Heck, you're great. You should sign up for that art competition thing they've been talking about in school." Michael said in whoa.

"Nah, competitions aren't me," I said dismissing him.

"Bullshit, you have a gift. You should share it." Levi said as he shut my sketchbook.