Part 23

~

"When I lost my sight, Werner, people said I was brave. When my father left, people said I was brave. But it is not bravery; I have no choice. I wake up and live my life. Don't you do the same?"

-Anthony Doerr

~

"Favorite cartoon character?" Emma asked as she ran her fingers on my arm.

"Bugs Bunny," I said without a second thought. "Wait, does that question include animes?" I asked quickly as I looked down at her.

"What are animes?" She asked in wonder. I playfully gasped, she laughed tightening her grasp on my arm.

"What kind of cruel world is this? How do you not know what they are?" I asked half kidding half serious.

How has someone made it this far in life and not heard of the colorful toons?

"When you stop being so dramatic and when we get to my house you can tell me what animes are." She said as she grinned at me.

The smile on my face fell slowly as I took out my phone.

"I can't hang out today, I have plans," I said as I looked down at my phone and around the hall.

School had just let out and I was leaning against some lockers talking to Emma.

Her eyebrows pulled together.

"I thought you and the guys were fighting." She said in confusion.

I wouldn't say fighting... just not talking.

The four of us seemed to be actively avoiding each other.

"We are, I guess," I said answering her question as I looked at her.

Her hair was in loose waves around her face.

The weather was a nice 56 degrees outside.

She was wearing a red long sleeves turtle neck, black jeans, and boots. And, of course, her significant black lens glasses and cane.

"So your plans are with your mom?" She asked as she shut her locker. I bit my lip. I get what she was hinting at. She was trying to figure out who I had my plans with.

I couldn't possibly tell her the truth, but it felt wrong to lie.

"No, they're with some friends," I said vaguely. She pouted slightly, there was no hiding she didn't completely believe me and was a bit upset that I was canceling on her.

Who was I kidding? She had a point, I had a few friends and my mom. If I was gonna lie I should have said something more believable, I thought scolding myself.

"How about we hang out tomorrow?" I suggested hoping to make her feel better but instead, she frowned more.

It felt shitty to know I was the reason she was frowning.

"I have plans with Ian for tomorrow." She said as she bit her lip.

Are you kidding me? Fucking Ian.

It's not fair, they just hung out yesterday. Why does he get to spend more time with her than me? I guess it is my fault for canceling but I have to.

I need to...

Instead of voicing my complaint I nodded with a frown. "How about Thursday?" I suggested instead. She nodded smiling slightly.

Rebecca walked over to us, with Devon by her side.

They both ignored me.

"Do you need a ride home today?" She asked Emma ignoring me.