Part 22

~

"Death is no more than passing from one room into another. But there's a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see."

-Helen Keller

~

"All I'm saying is that your sister is hot," Levi said in defense to Devon.

He laid upside down on the broken couch in Devon's basement with the rest of us. His chin-length dark hair falling into his face.

"All I'm saying is don't get any fucking ideas, she is off limits," Devon said defending his kid sister's honor.

She was only a year younger than us.

Levi agreed but rolled his eyes. They had been arguing about her for over ten minutes and I was more than a little bored listening.

I understood where Levi was coming from. Devon's sister Grace was hot.

But, I also understood where Devon was coming from. With Levi's history with girls, I would be worried too if Levi was suddenly interested in my sister.

"I thought you were dating that blue haired chick?" I asked joining the conversation.

That night was a blur but I remembered her fairly. I still had her number written on my arm in what I'm guessing was permanent marker because it hadn't washed away yet.

Was her name Amber or some shit?

"You mean Ashley? Nah, she's way too out there. Even for me." Levi said admittedly dismissing the idea.

What does he mean by way too out there?

Devon looked at both of us sharply.

"I don't judge, but she's bad news. You guys need to stay clear of her." Devon said warning Levi and me.

She can't be that bad...

Levi and Devon seemed to have switched roles. As now Levi defended Ashley while Devon tried to talk him away from her.

I rolled my eyes. They are both so annoying.

"Can the both of you just shut up?" I asked rudely as my hand itched to reach for a cigarette.

The only reason I wasn't already smoking one was that Devon's mom and siblings were just upstairs.

We were waiting for Michael to show the fuck up but as usual, he was running late.

"What crawled up your ass?" Michael said as he finally joined us in the dark lit room. I rolled my eyes but didn't answer.

"You have been pretty crabby," Devon said agreeing with him. "Yeah, where's Emma I thought she had you on a tight leash?" Levi added with a laugh.

I hated it when they made it their mission to team up on me.

"She's with Ian." I spit out in annoyance.

When she told me she was gonna be hanging out with him I was more than a little upset, but who was I to tell her no?

I wish I could go back to yesterday when it was just the two of us.

Hanging out at her house then hanging out at mine. Drawing at her house then painting at mine. But, no.

"Who is Ian?" Levi asked sitting up quickly. I rolled my eyes, he is such a gossip queen.

"He's her ex," Devon said supplying the answer for me. "Personally, I think it's really cool that you let her hang out with him."

I rolled my eyes, I didn't let her do anything. Emma made her own choices. Even if I told her I didn't like her hanging out with him, she probably still would.