Part 25

~

"No one needed to say it, but the room overflowed with that sort of blessing. The combination of loss and abundance. The abundance that has no guilt. The loss that has no fix. The simple tiredness that is not weary. The hope not built on blindness."

-Aimee Bender

~

"You got suspended for a week!" My mom yelled. I rolled my eyes as I sat down on the kitchen counter.

"It's only a week," I said in defense. It could have been a lot worse.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think I should have been suspended at all but I got off pretty easy for 'starting' the fight.

I thought it was bullshit I got blamed for starting the fight because I threw the first punch. I don't regret it though.

"You told me you were done fighting." She said to me as she brushed a piece of her blond hair behind her ear.

She was still dressed in her nurse scrubs fresh from work and signing me out from school.

The bags under her eyes were dark and bold.

I felt like shit for stressing her out.

"It's wasn't my fault, I am done with fighting but those assholes deserved it," I said in defense as she reached into the fridge and pulled out the ice tray.

She roughly began putting the ice into a rag.

"You told me you were done with fighting. I don't care what those boys di-" she started to say but I cut her off. "They were making fun of Emma," I explained.

She paused before sighing.

"You're right, they deserved it." She said agreeing with me as she turned and handed me the ice rag.

She moved closer to me and brushed her fingers over the side of my face. I tried my hardest not a flinch away from her touch but it hurt too much.

I brought the rag to my face and placed it on my bruised cheek. I bit my lip to stop from screaming out in pain.

"I'm still pissed that you got suspended." She said in a huff hitting my shoulder.

I could tell she wasn't really angry at me, but more worried.

She always seemed worried about something.

She probably thought I was falling back into bad habits.

"Well, I have good news," I said trying to lighten the mood as I pulled the rag away from my face.

She quickly pulled the rag back to my face giving me a warning look. I rolled my eyes.

"We're going to New York." I declared happily.

My mom has never missed a chance to see my art in competitions before and I hope she didn't start now.

New York wouldn't just be a break for me, but the break she deserves too.

She works so hard to provide for us. If this trip is the one thing I can give to her then I will.

She looked at me in confusion.

"We can't afford-" she started to say before she started to smile. She hugged me tightly.

"Congratulations sweetie, I'm so proud of you. Your art is going to be in a museum." She said into my shoulder.

I rubbed her back softly as she hugged me. "So you aren't mad anymore?" I asked hopefully.

I would do anything if I knew it would make her happy, she's my mom.