Part 29

~

"There are poisons that blind you, and poisons that open your eyes."

-August Strindberg

~

We walked into the gallery to see a painting of a square on a wall.

"With competition like this, you'll win for sure," Michael told me as he looked at the painting in confusion.

I reached out slowly and rubbed my hand on the painting.

The dried paint on canvas felt funny on my hand.

"Sir, please don't touch the work." A man with a clipboard told me softly.

I looked at him slowly before placing my hand on the boring square painting again.

"Don't touch the artwork." He said again.

I pulled my hand away slowly before smirking at him and rubbing my hand wildly on the painting again.

Before the man could yell at me Devon grabbed my hand and pulled it to my side.

"Knock it off, Daniel." He snapped.

"K-k-ay pop-pa." I all but yelled as I grinned at him.

"You guys go ahead, we'll catch up," Devon said holding me in place as I reached out for the painting again.

Rebecca looked at me in worry before nodding her head and leading Emma and Ian away.

Michael stayed behind with us.

Devon and Michael stared at me as I stared tiredly at them.

Stars and shapes were alive and zooming across the room.

"Yupug see the pr-pretty sh-apes too?" I asked as I reached out and touched Devon's ear.

His ear just looked so soft.

"You're high," Devon stated as he frowned at me.

I grinned tugging his ear before giggling.

"He is so fucking high. Like higher than the Empire State Building high." Michael said saying too many words for me to understand.

Just then I heard a voice from behind me declare "You look like crap."

I turned to see Levi and Ashley.

"Bluer" I said reach out for her bright blue hair. I wonder if it would hurt if I pulled her hair. Is her hair always that blue? Was she born that way? No, that's silly. It's not silly if she were part fairy. Maybe she's part fair-

"Why are you here?" Devon said glaring at Ashley and breaking my train of thought.

"I don't have to explain myself to you, Sanders." She said addressing him by his last name.

I wish I had a last name. Wait, I do have a last name! I thought happily.

What was my last name again?

Ashley turned to me.

"Did you take one of the pills I gave you?" She asked me softly.

I quickly shushed her but nodded.

"I knew when I saw you walking over here that this was somehow your fault." Devon accused her.

She rolled her eyes.

"We have a problem," Levi said softly as he looked away from us.

"Bigger than Daniel being higher than a kite right now?" Michael said doubtfully.