7: His Wife

"All men and women are equal, but somewhere in the cycle, she lets him be her man."

In all the midst of the business, house, and marriage work, I slightly forgot about Baba's health. That day Seema reminded me ever so kindly and I vowed to protect and take care of my father no matter what. Even if it meant to get married to an inhuman man, a man full of power, rage, and destruction. Whereas I was a woman full of complete silence, I was soft, where he was a rock-hard man. It was a match I will never understand, but if Allah chose him for me, then the best was yet to come, and I was happy with the match.

"Hoor, do you have any idea what's going on in your father's life?" She questioned with so much authority I almost forgot I was the one in question.

"Yes, he gets up in the morning, prays, walks, eats, reads, eats, prays, go's out with his friends, prays, eats, plays prays, eats, prays, walks, sleeps and the cycle goes on," I said delightedly.

She gave me a weird look, "Hoor other than his normal routine!" Why was she frustrated?

"Well, he goes out with his friends and they hang out and play, I can't keep control of his private life you know," I replied flabbergasted.

"Hoor, your father is sick!" She yelled, for the first time, I was shocked by that and because my father was sick and I did not know of it. I felt utterly guilty and upset that I was so oblivious, and I was not there when I was supposed to be.

"Look, I know little, I just heard his conversation with the family doctor the other day, he's ill and he's hiding it." She said, more softly.

Blinking back the unwanted tears, I stood in my room on this horrible Sunday afternoon. Seeing my difficulty with the news, Seema pushed me down onto my bed and got me a glass of water, which I did not take.

"What happened, what do you think?" Seema asked worried just as I. Like me and Abdullah, Seema grew up in father's protection too, she served him and his family when she could just be a normal girl like us but her love for father was now what she did in this house.

"Hoor, speak up! You can't get emotional or weak right now. Find out what's going on. I know Uncle Saadiq and Doctor Omar will never disclose this matter. Find out somehow." She suggested while I sat silently thinking.

Come on Hoor, Seema is right, get yourself together and find out what's wrong with Baba. He had a problem of keeping his issues to himself, so I'll figure out what was happening anyway.

Breath in, breath out. I repeated this until I felt my heart rate come back to normal. "Ya Allah"

"Hoor, your phone is ringing."

I glanced at my phone buzzing on the bedside table and leaned backward, attempting to reach it. As my fingers found the surface of the phone, I slithered it towards me and grasped it. Seema laughed at my childish attempt to while I saw Abdullah's name flashing on the screen.

My heart soared high with happiness, just when I was thinking about what to do, Allah sends my most trusted brother to me! Happy with this revelation, I received the call.

"Abdullah." I exasperated with a smile; Seema gazed at me confusedly. I winked at her.

"Woah, no hello no hi. Wassup sis, you finally got a date with Mr. dreadful man?" He teased referring to Musa I rolled my eyes still getting over what Musa did the other day. It was rude and unnatural, and I wanted to flee from his grasp.

"Shut up. Where are you?" I asked. When we were off duty, we talked like the loyal friends we were, and it delighted me.

"Garden. Come look at my Lilly." He said gleefully, I rolled my eyes. The Lilly he was referring to was the girl opposite our house who was spoiled, annoying, and dumb. I didn't bother fixing his flowers.