Examinations (4)

Well the story seems to be going well so far and I am really happy about the amount of good criticism I am getting from all of you!

Enjoy!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I sat in complete silence, listening to a clock tick loudly in the deafening silence. I looked up and watched the second hand leaping forward with a tick and then again with a resonating tock as I waited. Twelve thirty the clock read and now I could conclude that I had been sitting here for an hour. I let out a sigh and leaned back against my hard chair, observing the room I had been placed in for another time. The walls were all white, a sickly greyish tinge lingering on them, along with the large patches of damp and cracks in the plaster work. In the room, there was only one chair; the one which I was sitting on, a table; the one I was sitting in front of and a large mirror which I knew too well I was being watched through. As for decoration, there was a dead hydrangea in the corner in a faded pot and a glass of water on the table in front of me.  Altogether, the room was very gloomy.

I had been told by Alexandra Thomas that a doctor would be in to question me soon but obviously her idea of soon was more like in a while. Boredom made my bones ache and I had to resist the childish urge to bang my head on the table and mop, knowing that they would be watching. Memories, emotions and thoughts threatened to spill over my careful barrier which was probably the only thing keeping me sane and before I could stop it, a memory popped up.

 I walked along the pavement, completely lost in my own thoughts as the traffic spun past me and the other pedestrians bustled around me. Worry made me tense and nervousness was making me sweat in the chilly winter air as the day began to end. My sister, Freya, was still in hospital after being rushed there a few hours ago after collapsing at work and now all I could do was worry. The doctors had yet to decide what her condition was and from what I had heard, it could be serious. Now I was heading back to the small house my sister and I shared to get some of her stuff whilst my mum watched over her.

I was expecting a phone call from my mum anytime soon and my hands remained clutched around my mobile waiting for the ring like my life depended on it.

Finally, I arrived at the car park where my treasured Mitsubishi  Warrior had been abandoned and this time I found no desire or urge to admire the black car my uncles and father had so generously gifted to me. I slammed my bag down on the hood of the car and began to rifle through its contents roughly, searching impatiently for the keys.

After a minute or so, my keys were nowhere to be seen and my stress got the better off me. I chucked the contents all over the damp tarmac and fell to my knees, tears of stress and fear now blinding me in my search. I began to sob and curse as I went through my stuff, my vision now blurred by the streaming tears.

“Damn it! Where are my flipping keys?” I snarled, smashing my iPod in a dirty puddle.

“Hey! What are you doing?” A voice shouted but I ignored it, settling with the useless crying instead of a reply.

I soon felt arms wrap around my waist and then I was lifted upwards before turned and brought into a deep embrace.

“Hey, don’t worry! It can’t be that bad, your keys will be here somewhere! What’s got you in this state?” A deep masculine voice cooed in my ear gently.

I was too upset and dazed to reply, happy to cry my eyes out in the embrace of a stranger as his strong smell of cologne relaxed me. He rocked me back and forth for a while before I felt him lift me up and place me on the car’s hood. I drew my knees up to my chest and rubbed at my eyes, trembling every now and then from an escaped sob as I listened to the man fumbling about below me.