Friend or Foe (12)

I really enjoyed writing this chapter so I hope you like it as much as I do. I achieved the length I wanted and I published as soon as I finished writing this! Any suggestions as to how to improve?

Thanks!

 Enjoy!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Monique was too shocked to do anything. She remained frozen in the spot and I could feel the panic and fear rising in her, confusing my thoughts too. I acted quickly. I pushed against her consciousness, doing it almost out of instinct and then that familiar headache crashed back into my mind as I suddenly swung back into control. Monique let out a small mental gasp, still too dazed to register what had happened as I moved my fingers carefully, checking that I was still working.

I blinked and almost smiled. I shifted my feet out of the stirrups and swung my leg over Gibus’ side, handling the woman with care, refusing to breathe through my nose in case I inhaled the sickly scent of blood. Gibus snorted, backing up as I pulled the bloody heap of him and turned to face the man who had spoken to me, still holding the almost dead woman.

The second my eyes landed on the man, I felt the power that rolled off him. He was tall, at least six foot and three inches and had dark tanned skin. His hair was a cloudy grey with a messily cut beard hanging from his chin and dull bushy eyebrows. He looked much muscled from here and his overall appearance made you want to step back. But it wasn’t the feeling I got from him that made me shiver fearfully, it was his eyes. Piercing amber eyes, almost animal-like, glared at me and this time, a shiver did run up my spine.

“Put her down,” he spoke clearly bringing me back from my daze.

I leant down and put the woman down gently, pushing the hair, matted with blood, out of her face before looking up.

“Step away from her and the horse,” he continued and as I stepped, several revolvers followed me, making me realize that he held none.

I heard someone behind me and resisted the urge to look around and identify them. I saw out of the corner of my eye, a man lift the old lady into his arms and from Gibus’ clear whinnies of protest, I knew he was being taken away too.

I continued to stare into the man’s eyes, pushing back that urge to flinch.

Taro? A shaky voice whispered in my mind.

Good, you’re ok, I sighed mentally, happy to see that she had woken.

Oh gosh, I’m sor-

Her apologies were interrupted as the man before me spoke again.

“Put your hands in the air, after that, don’t move.”

I moved slowly and jumped violently when I felt two hands land on my ribs. The person dragged his or her hands all over our torso roughly, then down our hips and all around our legs before moving up to my shoulders and bust. I remained absolutely still, resisting the urge to swing around and let whoever it was meet our fist as I was searched.

Then I felt my coat roughly wrenched off me, revealing the lilac blouse, stained with blood in some areas and my ripped skirt.

Then it appeared.

The polished steel revolver fell from my hip, seeming to float in the air as it abseiled towards the ground. It landed with a soft clang, span a few times on its muzzle before landing still with a dull thud.

My heart froze as both Monique and I realized something. This was a German gun, they could only think…

“German,” a different voice, supposedly the one of the guy who searched me, spat coldly.