Epilogue

With this epilogue, I draw Blood to an end. Editing awaits me and so does Sweat (2). Thank you for your support, comments, votes and reads, and I really hope you continue to read Taro and Monique's story.

Thanks!

Enjoy!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear Monique,

The days are passing quickly now. Training is becoming, well, I wouldn’t say easy, but it’s becoming bearable, and the Commandant is watching us train more often now. I think that he is looking out for leaders amongst us. You know Després? The man I told you about weeks ago – he works in a mill in Orne. Well, I think the Commandant has his eyes on him. In all honesty, I don’t want to be leading anyone – if I have to, I will, but I don’t want to be responsible for deaths, much less my own friend’s deaths. I can’t wait till June, it may be only a week but I can’t wait to see everyone and to see you.

How is Nathan? And the rest of your family? Is the village still the same as I left it?

Write soon, I miss you.

All my love, Pierre

Monique,

You didn’t reply to my last letter, didn’t you receive it? Mother did not reply to hers either. I know I shouldn’t worry but I can’t help myself. Please tell me you are well and the rest of the village, too. Tensions are running high here – there are rumours, plenty of them, and Després told me that Laval heard from the lieutenant that Germans are doing well, dangerously well.  Rain has been bothering us and the men grumble about it, but it reminds me of good times. Do you remember that time when Nathan insisted we play hide and seek though you knew a storm was coming on? He hid so well that we couldn’t find him and when the rain started, we had already spent an hour looking for him. We went home and your mother went ballistic! She sent us back into the storm and we weren’t allowed in till we found him. It took another hour to find him and he heard us shouting for him, I’m sure of it! He cried afterwards because you yelled at him and when we went home, he was still crying. Madame Roux slapped you and there was a handprint on your cheek. You blamed me for that afterwards, and we spent the rest of the day talking in the barn. I miss it; the arguing, the yelling, the fights. Just as much as the good times. But I will see you soon, I promise.

All my love, Pierre

Monique,

I haven’t heard a word from you. Either my letters aren’t getting to you or yours aren’t getting to me. Mother hasn’t sent me anything either. It worries me, honestly. Laval says I should stop asking if I’ve had any letters. I know he’s annoyed – he was forced to join along with the rest of us, but he had a farm back home, no wife or children to look after it either. Had to leave his brother and his friends in charge and they want in apparently. Like anyone can afford as much as they’re asking! I doubt his farm is worth that much! I just wish he would leave the others alone – he takes it out on us and is always spying. He’ll get in trouble one day, I’m sure.

But please, Monique! Just write me something, tell me you’re ok, please.

I love you,

Pierre

Monique,

You are worrying me! Three weeks without a letter! I asked about St Cyr, heck, I even asked the Commandant but they “haven’t got time for your troubles”. Laval told me that France is losing. Please, Monique, tell me what is happening! We are being kept in the dark here and we can’t rely on rumours. Send me something! Anything! Please, Monique!

Love you always,                     

Pierre

Monique,

Are you mad at me? Is there something wrong? If it weren’t for the fact mother has not wrote for a month, I would think that you no longer wanted to speak to me. Have I done something wrong? The last letter I got form you was towards the beginning of October. We’re almost in November! Please write, Monique. Your letters keep me going.

Love you, more than you could imagine.

Pierre

Monique,

God, why am I even writing? It’s Christmas for god’s sake, Monique! Not one letter? I know I couldn’t come home, but still! I’ve been writing to you for two months now, more even, and I haven’t heard from you. Why am I even bothering writing this?

Pierre

Monique,

I’m sorry, I’m not thinking straight. I’m really worried. We’re well into January and there has been rumour about bombings. Please Monique, wherever you are, write to me.

I love you always,

Pierre

Monique,

You must write. We’ve been told that we are being moved down to Nantes, down by the west coast. The whole division! Monique, it’s February, I will be going out at some stage after June, and I might not see you before then. Just tell me you’re still there, that you’re healthy. Even if you are angry at me, for my peace of mind, I have to know that you are ok, Mother, too.

With love,

Pierre

Monique,

In two weeks, we’re moving out to Nantes. Please, one word would do, just a note!

Loving you forever,

Pierre

Monique,

The commandant sent me a message. He said that the Germans had advanced into France and were taking control over the North. A lot of the area had been bombed and all troops and divisions were moving South. He also said that Normandy had been bombed. He did not specify where, I asked him but he doesn’t know! Monique, please, you have to tell me that you are still alive. Home couldn’t have been bombed but I have to know, please, please, please Monique. I love you, I do – I will always without a doubt even if you hate me. Just write something, send me something, I don’t mind what! Just know that I love you please and I pray God keeps you safe.

I will always love you,

Pierre

Date d’envoi: 4th May 1940

Monsieur and Madame Bellrose,

As of the 29th of April, 1940, soldat de seconde classe Pierre Bellrose along with his fellows have been moved to Division 21 Nantes from Division 19 Rennes. We would like to apologise for the suddenness of this move and inform you that Pierre Bellrose will not have time off till further notice.

Thank you for your understanding.

Officier Antoine Merle

Date d’envoi: 16th June 1940

Monsieur and Madame Bellrose,

On July 1rst, soldat de seconde classe Pierre Bellrose will receive orders to fight on the frontline. This location will not be specified and before this date, July 1rst, your son will not be permitted to visit you. We ask, for his benefit, that you do not visit him prior to this date, July 1rst. We encourage letters or messages which will be transferred to your son.

Best regards,

Officier Antoine Merle