Survival (34)

Late again - my most sincere apologies. I hope you enjoy the chapter nonetheless and I can't wait to publish the blurb for the second book. The epilogue for Blood I have planned and will start writing ASAP. BTW, there may be some errors related to events/character descriptions. These will be covered in editing but I would appreciate all errors being pointed out.

Thanks!

Enjoy!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cool drops of water fell on my face rhythmically, sliding down my cheeks, and dripping down onto my neck. The rain fell quietly, almost unheard in the strange peace of a spring morning as the leaves swayed gently in the calm breeze. The sky was covered by a blanket of thick grey cloud and the sun remained hidden, offering little warmth to linger in the air.

I watched the blur of colour, listening to the soothing rustle in the trees and tasting the moisture that carried in the wind; enjoying this little moment of peace.

A type of anxiety had bloomed which I could not quite explain, and nervousness had crept into me at the prospect of being surrounded by people once more, which made me quiver slightly in anticipation.

Truth be told, I had no desire to enter the town and my only reasons for doing so was the fact that I needed more food and water, and perhaps, some blankets or something similar.

Temptation pestered me, telling me to just pass the town by and find somewhere smaller, but Monique wouldn’t hear it.

How long are we going to wait? Monique snapped in my mind.

Wincing a little at her tone, I chose to ignore her and returned my attention to the household who owned the garden I was currently situated in.

The tree which I was currently leaning against was at the bottom of the garden and gave me a good view of the church tower and with it, the church tower clock. There had been no movement in the town yet and the house was silent also, giving me some time to think things through.

“Till six,” I murmured in response, watching the large black hands of the clock.

Twenty minutes?

“Yes.”

No longer then! We’ve waited around too long for my liking!

“Yes, Monique.”

I returned my attention to the house, annoyed with Monique’s impatience, and busied myself with the remaining food. As my eyes trailed over the building, I froze when I saw something move. Squinting harder at one of the windows, I could just make out the figure of a child whose eyes were fixed directly on me, eyebrows bent in a frown.

That’s our invitation to go, Monique urged.

I complied without hesitation and, grabbing my bag, legged it out of the garden, scrambling over the broken fence without a backwards glance.

After that, I ambled my way through the empty streets and alleyways to the little school that I had seen earlier and slipped through the gates with a small creek. The playground which I had just entered was simple and plain with faded lines painted on the bumpy and cracked tarmac and four trees growing neatly in a row in the middle. Various amusements were dotted around the place and a broken swing was hanging precariously where it had suffered many years of use.

After a while of consideration, I opted to sit myself down in a small shelter on the side furthest from the entrance, where the shade allowed me some concealment. The wall here was badly painted with the various designs children had drawn all over it, and on the ground, a hopscotch game was drawn out, pebbles still present on some of the squares.