Secrets and Lies (29)

I might write two chapters this weekend but in this chapter, I am speaking through Monique's point of view. As you already know, I previously did a chapter to help you understand Monique a bit more so I just want to develop her character and allow you readers to get to know her better as you already know Taro! Enjoy!

PS: Sorry if its rushed! Or boring

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sleep took Taro quickly, her exhaustion tainting my own thoughts and she fell into the realm of unconsciousness. Her thoughts were a buzz of incoherence and before long; they too melted away into the dull drone which was Taro’s presence.

I nudged her gently, just pressing my awareness against hers tentatively to check that she was definitely asleep.

Taro did not answer and slowly, I allowed my thoughts to pour through the mental barrier I had erected for the past few days.

I had had my mind connected with hers constantly since the whole ordeal with the young German soldier and, due to this, there was no privacy in between us – all thoughts were shared, all emotions, all pictures, everything! For me, there were dozens of memories which were mine alone and I had no desire to share them with Taro, or at least not yet.

Hence, the only time in which I could think clearly and calmly without Taro seeing these was when she was fast asleep.

Taro did not know of my long hours of thought when the moon sat in the sky and I didn’t think she was aware that her thoughts and memories were constantly feeding into my mind when she was awake. I felt a little guilty for not telling her this but I doubted Taro would have the time to practise the labouring task of mental barriers which would stay intact constantly.

The feeling of letting the once trapped emotions and memories free was a refreshing one and it made my mind buzz with life and energy.

Random memories flashed past as did emotions, pictures and words, some with no meaning and others with plenty and I almost felt alive once more.

The elevation began to fade as it did every night I did this and I just began to think. I remembered the events of the previous day and those before that, pondering them and the people who featured within them till I felt that I had memorised the events clearly.

Then the questions filtered through.

Where were we currently in France?

How far had we made it from the woods?

Were the Germans and traitors still in pursuit?

How will we get a hold of a handgun or the like?

How could our two trainers have betrayed us?

Why? Why all of this? Why France? Why now? Why Taro?

The last question seemed to echo in my mind the most and only now did I really feel how much Pascal, Gilbert and Vincent’s betrayal had hurt me and Taro, physically and emotionally.

Then the dreaded question popped up; one that I hadn’t dared think of or even relate too.

Why Nathan?

The mere thought wrenched at my heart and tore at my skin till so much anger and hurt had built up, it was actually painful.

Taro tossed in her sleep, ending the pain as I froze to wait for her wake.

She let out a low murmur and tossed again before falling still as her breathing slowed once more.

How could he? I trusted him, I-I loved him…