Rescue (20)

Well hope you enjoy this one - took me a while to get started but I did so I hope you like it!

Not as long or interesting as I would have liked but I saw this as necessary.

Thanks! Enjoy!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It hurt a lot. That was the first thing I became aware of as my eyelids peeled open and my lips drew in a raspy breath.

I let out a loud groan, almost gasping at how stiff my muscles felt and how difficult it was to move. In fact, I couldn’t move at all. My limbs were cemented in place, and I could only just about wiggle my fingers and toes.

“Help,” I croaked, the word burning in my throat.

I shivered; the vibrations making my muscles shake painfully, and I let out a small whimper. It was so cold, but my body refused to warm up even the slightest.

Confusion and fear was clogging up my thoughts, and I couldn’t remember what had happened or where the hell I was. I tried so hard to think, that my head hurt, and I began to cry pathetically, my body jerking with each sob. The tears eventually dried out, and I found myself curling up tighter if that was even possible, losing myself to my memories.

I stared out of the window gloomily, watching the rain poor down fiercely as it pounded the windows. The clouds were dark and almost black, and the rain was pouring down as hard as it could, turning everything into a blur.

I shivered slightly, pushing my hands further into my hoodie pockets, and turned up the volume on my iPod to try to drone out the raging storm.

Mary appeared suddenly, completely drenched and flustered, and collapsed into the seat next to me.

I sent her a questioning look, turning of my iPod and putting is away as the teacher came in.

“Missed the bus,” she heaved.

I nodded, and picked up a pen before beginning to draw on it idly.                                        

“Ok class, today we are going to continue with our studies of parallel dimensions,” Mr Hanlon said, grabbing some papers and starting to hand them around the class.

Mr Hanlon was my teacher for social studies and physics, and was an intelligent man in his late forties. I had had him as a teacher for a good few years and there was a mutual respect in between us.

I took the paper and stared down at it with confusion. On the sheet, there was a mixture of letters and numbers in separate codes, listed on the paper. They meant nothing to me, and from the confused looks on my other classmates faces, they didn't have any significance to them either.

Mr Hanlon looked amused by our confusion, but thankfully elaborated, “This is a list of different parallel dimensions. They all have a unique code to access them, but actually, over seventy per cent of the dimensions are in ruins or uninhabitable for us.”

“Why is that My Hanlon?” Evelyn, a pretty and intelligent blonde-haired girl, asked.

“You could call these dimensions ‘Trial and Error’ dimensions. There are very few dimensions that actually are appropriate for human inhabitation, and the ones that aren’t appropriate, but are populated by the human species, usually end up in catastrophe thanks to such problems as global warming. Other big events affect planets like nuclear wars or meteorites for example.” He replied.