Call of Duty (21)

Ok I am beginning to delve into Resistance action and all that so more action soon! :) Sorry 'bout the last chapter - it was a filler but voila, this isn't a finished book and requires plenty more editing!

Enjoy!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When I woke, I was lying in a rather uncomfortable position in a small tent. The wind was battering the tatty canvas mercilessly and my whole body shivered with cold. Justine was next to me, fast asleep, her skin pale with cold.

I wanted to go outside but I doubted that Justine would be grateful for the cold air I would allow to enter so I waited patiently, trying to wriggle my numb toes and fingers.

My patience eventually waned and I clambered out of the tent as carefully as possible to greet the freezing outside. The ground was coated with frost and I found myself in a small clearing with several tents set up and a small fire area in the middle, now a pile of cinders. The trees around us offered little shelter and the sky was still quite dark, the sun just peaking over the sun in a tentative fashion.

I wrapped my arms around my chest, watching my breath come out in clouds of mist as I breathed.

It was peaceful and I welcomed the silence, only occasionally interrupted by the cry of a lark or the song of birds, roosting in the trees.

Seeing that I had nothing to do, I began to wander through the trees aimlessly, treading carefully as to avoid cracking any twigs or making too much noise.

Before I even had registered it, the trees had dispersed to show the destroyed town. I came to an abrupt halt, staring at it in shock. The buildings were now nothing but rubble, even the hotel which had become my home over the past few months was now in ruins. The smell of burnt rubber and similar things burnt my nostrils and the taste of smoke lingered on my tongue, leaving a bitter and unwelcome taste. I stared at the city, watching the black smoke rise gracefully, billowing into grey clouds and raining ash down on the ghost town.

My heart tightened painfully and my lip trembled. Anger bubbled within me and it was like nothing I had ever felt. I felt so angry, so furious.

Monique’s conscious brushed against mine as she became alive within my head and her shock resonated through me at the discovery I had found only moments before.

Her anger joined mine, a burning hatred within us making me clench my fists and grind my teeth together.

They are destroying everything, Monique spat inside of my head, her tone thick with anger.

“Germans,” I growled, “They did this.”

They say vengeance is sweet, Monique thought, a new tone colouring her words.

“They do,” I said quietly, allowing my anger to cool.

I stared out at it and I felt the sadness that I had felt from Monique when seeing her destroyed home and all the people who had lived in it.

“Why?” I asked myself, shaking my head.

Eventually, I made my way back to the campsite which was still void of activity and sat down on a log that had been pulled out to use as a seat.

I absently began to brush through my hair which by now was a tangled mope of blonde strands and started to chew on my tongue thoughtfully (a habit which I could never stop myself from doing).

About half an hour later, the sun was now in full view and the landscape was coming alive with the sound of twittering birds and livestock somewhere in the distance; a mixture of barks, neighs and bleats from a nearby farm.