Chapter Twenty Six// What Happened?

On my way out of English class I place my essay on the front desk. I am pretty pleased with how it came out, hopefully A+ worthy. I gave Ethan his assay before class. As I pass through the corridor on the way to my locker, it disturbs me to witness Lacy making out with Jace against his locker.

"Get a room," I murmur to myself. Thankfully they can't here my remark over the noise of their obnoxious kissing. However their coupley behaviour remindes me that I need to speak to Ethan.

I load my locker up with my un needed books, since it is currently lunch, and head towards the cafeteria. I am glad to finally leave the snoggers alone. I spy the whole cafeteria with attentive eyes, in search for any trace of Ethan. Nathan mentioned they are friends so I assume they will be sitting together.

Ethan's a good guy, maybe he can help me calm Nathan back down and get him to be himself again. I suddenly spot the back of his head.

"Hi Ethan," I approach the table he is sitting at and smile down towards him. He is sat at the very end, under my nose. Then Josh is opposite him with Nathan to his left. A few other team mates of Ethan and Josh's were at the table too.

"Umm, hi, and are you?" He replies, his eye brows turned up in confusion. Puzzlement washes over my face. Why is he pretending to not know me?

Oh no, is he acting this way because I stood him up? I feel so bad. "I'm so sorry for not turning up for our date!" I blurt out, desperate for him to forgive me. "I was grounded but couldn't tell you as my mom took my phone-"

"Wait, we were never going out on a date," Ethan disconcerted. I send him a very confused look. "When did I ask you out?" He emphasises the you, as if I am some horrible creature or outcast. Why is he acting this way? Is he suffering from amnesia or just being plain rude to me?

"I said I was sorry. I couldn't come. But you don't have to be-"

"I don't even know you." Ethan continues. Josh cracks up into laughter, Nathan shielding his face with his hand and sniggers.

"Pardon?" My lip quivers. Everyone on the table joins in with the laughing as Ethan encourages them. They all point fingers at me as a roar of laughter erupts around me. Burning through my cheeks, the humiliation gets to me with my hands shaking by my side as a sweat breaks out upon my forehead.

"Why are you still standing here? Whatever your name is," says Ethan, not even acknowledging the tear about to seep out from the corner of my eye.

"You know my name," I almost choke, a sob swelling up in my throat. "It's Paige."

"Well, Saige." Everyone laughs. "Get lost," his eyes rise to meet mine, a grin spreading across his face. The embarrassment reddens my face as I glance around the room to find it silent with the hum of gossip travelling from table to table. It is evident that my face is now shining bright red and I have began to cry. "Nerd." He spits out at the end.

"I thought you were different," I say, before running out of the cafeteria doors in a haste. My vision is a blur, sprinting into the girl's toilets. I slam the cubical door shut and pull my knees up to my chest on the toilet seat.

I feel completely alone. Well, that was, until I hear someone else enter.

"Um, hello?" A female voice spoke from behind the door. I wipe under my eyes with some tissue. "Anyone in here?" I see some black pumps under the slit that was between the floor and the bottom of the door.

"Go away," I sob, the tears soaking into my cheeks.

"Paige?" The girl's voice sounds peculiarly familiar. She knocks on the door. "It's Lacy..."