Chapter Thirty Nine// You'll See

"He kissed you?" Exclaims Lacy, stopping in the corridor as dramatic as she possibly could, attracting unwanted attention from passing students. Their eyes are drawn to the scene and I turn my back against them to prevent them from hearing anymore. High schoolers are so nosy!

"Could you be any louder?" I remark sarcastically, my eyes studying hers. The excitement bubbling inside of her doesn't pop, her eyes only growing bigger by the second.

"He did, didn't he!" She squeals, yet again ignoring my face palm, not so subtly indicating that this is a private matter I don't want the whole school to eavesdrop on- especially not Josh! If he some how ended up discovering my- not so remorseful- moment with Nathan the other day, chances are he won't be too happy about it. Who knows how that would turn out. However as Lacy's grin widens, it is clear we can't converse about this subject in public.

"Come with me." I grab her wrist with an expressive sigh, dragging her in the direction of the girl's lavatory (also known as the only private place in school for me and Lacy to chat without the intimidating stares of our peers). I shut the toilet room door and guide her over to the very corner. This is because no cubicles are around the corner, meaning no one will hear us in case someone was using the toilet. "We did not kiss." I tell her solemnly. "Well, not on the lips, this time. More of a cheek peck, nothing more." I clarify once Lacy has calmed down enough to take it all seriously.

"So... you kissed." She repeats. Despite my over the top roll of eyes, she still lets her shameless smirk embed across the full of her face. "Say what you want Paige," she says with a giggle tinting her laugh. "You two find it impossible to keep your lips to yourself when you are together"

I flick the back of my hand against her arm, scowling at how inappropriate her comment was. "That's not true."

"Deny all you want. You love him as much as he loves you. I'm right, come on. Admit it  girlfriend, you love him more than... More than..."

"More than Josh?"

She pauses. "I was going to say candy floss, but yeah, that too."

My cheeks blush as she sends a knowing look into my eyes. A simple head nod and a smile and I know what she is thinking. By her contemplative expression, a sparkle glossing over her eye, I know she wants me to do what is right. "Should I?"

"If you want to do the right thing, I say date Nathan, whatever the consequences."

I nod, yet not so convincing I believe it myself.

***

The cafeteria is busy.

"Want to sit near the back?" Lacy suggests with a desperate plead straining her voice. A group of sophmores have just barged past through the narrow space between us and the wall, squashing us into the people in front. The noise level raises with every squeal from the cheerleaders and every deep laugh from the jocks.

"Sure," I agree, winding through the crowds and snake like cues.

"Paige! Over hear!"

As my name is called across the room, my eyes dart towards the direction of the voice, in search for its owner. My attention lands on the footballer's table. With the help of Josh's hand summoning me over to him, I soon understood that the call had been from him, asking if I want to sit at his table.

"I told Lacy I would sit with her at lunch today," I inform him, now by his side. His face turns up so his eyes met mine, a passive look draining the life from his face.

"Do I care?" He asks coldly, rudely disrespecting my friend without any consideration at all. I gulp before preparing my response.

"No but, but I promised her-"