Chapter Twenty Nine// A Ride

You ok?

My phone screen flashes as I enter my bedroom. I have just come up from eating dinner and glance towards my phone to see a new message. At first I thought it was from Lacy. But after a second look, I realise that it is from in fact Nathan.

Yeah. Why u ask?

Maybe it was a text to ask if I am ok after being chucked out of his house from the other day? However I know my assumption is wrong as I scan through his reply.

I spoke 2 Josh b4 as he seemed angry and he mentioned your name. I saw him arguing w/ u in the corridor so I wanted to make sure everything was OK.

My lips creep into a smile as I reread the message, each time my heart skipping a beat at how cute it was he cared. So I wonder why he kicked me out his house on Saturday? If he is being considerate now, why wasn't he before? Boys!

We didn't argue. He asked me out and I said no. He got angry that I rejected him 😶

My eyes enlarge with panic as I suddenly remember Josh's exact words: Tell no one about this. I broke the promise. He won't find out though, right? Hopefully. I gulp with anxiety.

Didn't realise he fancied u. Probably wants to make Courtney jealous. DON'T go out with him!

It takes me by surprise that Nathan sounds so desperate for me to not go back to Josh. Even though I said I had rejected him, I wonder why he objects to the thought of us dating again? Is he just looking out for me? Ok, I'm not used to Nathan acting this way. Then it clicked in my mind: this is his real self.

I won't. I promise. But why??? ☺️

He's not good 4 u 😣😒😑

I stare down at my phone with my hand hovering over my mouth. Had I read that right?

Then who is good 4 me? 😌

Oh my gosh, why did I just ask that? He's going to think I'm wanting him to be the one. I'm dreading his reply...

Not Ethan or Josh. They r bad news, stay away from them. They don't deserve u 😡

I want to jump with a weep of joy. He's being protective and looking out for me. He is being his true self: caring, loving and cute. This is him. If only he could see that. But why was he not acting like this when I was round his house on Saturday? Was it because Laura was also there? But why should that matter?

Thank u 4 looking out 4 me ❤️

Wait, did I really just send him a love heart emoji? I recheck my message and my eyes expand with the realisation of what I have just done. Sweat forms on my forehead as I stress about his upcoming reply, crossing my fingers he doesn't think anything of it.

Np they r jerks

Aren't they ur mates??? 😂

I find it strange the way Nathan describes his friends with a negative connotation. Is he masking his feelings towards Josh and Ethan the same way he covers up his true identity? Does this mean he has been lying whenever being around them? I wonder if he has genuine feelings for Laura or if that is fake as well.