Chapter Thirty One// I Never Knew

My attempt of drawing some of the characters above ^ 😂

"Thanks again for going to get a teacher."

"No problem. I couldn't watch him do that to my best friend. I was nearly in tears," Lacy dabs my black eye with an ice pack as I remove the blood stained tissue from my nose. The punch to my jaw had triggered a nose bleed. Thankfully the principle had arrived before Josh attempted to beat me up completely.

"It was awful," I lie back down on the nurses bed, resting my pounding head on the pillow.

"The nurse will be back in a minute," Lacy tells me.

"I wonder where Josh is right now," I begin, using my spare hand to rub my throbbing temple. "Do you know?" I look over and into Lacy's eyes.

"I know that the principle has taken him to his office. I also heard Ethan talking to one of his team mates that they think he's getting suspended," she silently pumps her fist into the air as if in triumph. I let a laugh slip between my lips, not wanting to smile too much as it hurt my cheek bones if I strained them any further.

"I hope he gets suspended. The prick," I murmur under my breath. Good thing too, because just then the nurse re-entered the room with a clip board under her arm and a pen in her left hand.

"I am pleased to tell you, that thankfully, your cheek and jaw are not broken or fractured. You just need to rest for them to heal. I advice you stay here until your mom can come and collect you."

"Can Lacy stay with me to keep me company?" I plead with large eyes.

"I'm afraid Miss Tomas will have to return back to lessons," she looks from me over to Lacy. "She can come visit you in between periods but for now, you need to be alone, to recover."

I say my good bye to Lacy and watch as she leaves. It feels like a movie, all in slow motion- just to make it overly dramatic.

"I will be here the whole time. If you need me, just call out," the nurse goes over to her chair and begins typing away on her computer.

The pain still hadn't dissolved, my mind still spinning. I just want to go home.

***

The library is sufficiently quiet the next day, it is lunch time and without wanting to enter the busy cafeteria I thought the library was the best option. With mid-term exams creeping around the corner, I thought it would be best to make a start with the books.

Fortunately for me, the injures Josh had coursed were not that severe. The nurse has allowed me to attend school as per usual. Without any additional bruises or contact to my current injures, I should be all better by the end of the week.

I slide my finger across the binding of an old history book, curious of its date. As I pick it up for examination, I jump in shock as a finger taps my shoulder from behind. Spinning around I come face to face with... Nathan.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," he apologises, stepping back to give me some space.

"I don't want to talk to you," I say coldly. His eye brows frown as I barge past him and walk down another isle of books. With my head turned from his gaze, I pick up my pace.

"I was just wondering if you were ok. You know, after yesterday," his hand reaches out and holds my wrist. I stop at the abrupt contact on his hand on mine. He releases me and runs his fingers through his hair as a slight blush filters to his cheeks.