Chapter 1 - Daisy May

I woke up with a headache this morning. Surely, it was expected after such a shift. I had never been interested of lycan training or the thing they referred to as mindfulness, but I finally understood what they meant. Because when you shift for the first time, it's overbearing, you need a sense of safety in your head. All transforming lycans weren't sure to survive, and that was accepted in our culture. Because some weren't strong enough. But I had turned out to be. My headache had been bugging me this whole day and if I had to spend a second more of it's babbling, then I was sure to explode.

That headache had a name. Zante Caras. The boy who wouldn't stop talking to me. It seemed unfair of me to ignore his wishes, but I was not interested, and all I could think about was my shift last night. The moon so clear at the Night of the taking, the night where lycans were released to find their mates, but when I sat in my room, completely alone, I could only think of the nagging pain in my whole body. So I ran out into the forest where I thought no one would see me.

A small paper plane flew into my dark, crazy curly hair. I glanced irritated back at Scar and watched as she pointed at Zante. I wanted to give him the finger. Zante had been in my life for as long as I could remember. He was the equivalent to bother, to disturbing but in an irritating, clean cut way. He was a douche. All his friends were too, which fitted the group name, the sack of douches. He was the son of Arés and Gemma. Arés was my fathers Gamma, the third in charge, a high title inside the palace grounds.

I tried to focus on the history lesson but history wasn't really my subject and Darren at the back of the class whispered with Zante and Collin. Surely, they didn't think anyone heard because all the girls were humans and the boys didn't outstand them in rank either, so they could even talk back at the teacher if they would have wanted that.

"What about Erina?" Collin questioned as he, beyond doubt, nodded at the girl a few seats behind me. The arena weren't enormous but it was easy for me to hear them because of my the hearing of a lycan. "Yeah," Darren said disturbingly easy. "I'll fuck her. What about Lissa? She's hot though"

I gripped the pen tighter and forced myself to focus on the teacher. And her polka dot skirt surely drew my attention. We had history, lycan at ancient times. For the third time. My best friend Scar chewed her gum so loudly beside me that I grabbed my eraser and threw it at her face. She furrowed her eyebrows and chewed extra loudly when it fell to the floor. Ignoring her, I continued to take notes without trying to listen into Darren and Collin's conversation.

"Yeah but Lissa's a whore. She fucks anything that walks. I've nailed her three times just this week. Let's find someone new"

I could feel a stare at the back of my head but I forced myself to focus on my notes. But in reality, I wanted to stand up, turn around swiftly and scream my lungs out. But I couldn't show myself, I was human, and that was all.

Darren chuckled quietly as he scribbled something on a piece of paper. "Looks like Zante's got a thing for the Alpha's daughter. Haba Haba" he teased. Zante rolled his eyes and when I happened to look up, our eyes meet. His big green eyes shined through and the wonderful hint of brown colored his appearance. As normal, his blonde hair was swept aside as his blue Gant t-shirt sat tight on him. He was a looker, definitely. Just not my type. And not only that, I couldn't be focusing on boys for the moment, the center of my attention was laid on my shift last night.

Their snicker was almost impossible to avoid and I tried with my dear life but I couldn't hold myself. "Go on," Collin said, as usual, following Darren's footsteps. "Tell us more" he urged rapidly. "Shut up" Zante quiet down and didn't snicker with them. Darren smirked and raised an eyebrow. "What's up with you? You're on your period or what?"