My Everything

I was pulled out of my peaceful sleep in my very cozy bed, by a constant beeping sound.

God... It was annoying.

Pulling my blankets over my head, I snuggled deep into my bed, in an attempt to drift into my sweet slumber, hoping to shut out that constant, irritating machine sound.

Does waking up to the sounds of birds and rays of sunlight exist only in fantasy ?

I have always questioned the human community, why on the earth would they invent an annoying thing like an alarm clock which wakes you up in the most irritating way possible by blaring right at your face when you were busy enjoying your serene morning sleep.

I opened my tired eyes which were probably red around the edges because of the midnight Netflix binge and saw the angry red letters of the alarm clock flashing 07:00 AM at me.

"Bella. Get your butt out of your bed right now before I come upstairs and drag your ass to the bathroom myself". The threat from downstairs drained me of any residual sleep.

"I'm up. I'm up", I yelled back groaning.

I hated Monday mornings and I hated it when people wished me good mornings on Monday mornings. Good and Mondays could never be in the same statement. Never.

I was a heavy sleeper. Not a I-wake-after-a-few-calls heavy sleeper. But a I-won't-even-flinch-if-a-lightning-stuck-a-few-inch-away-from-me heavy sleeper. I fall into that category of people who can sleep for more than 12 hours straight and still wake up tired and sleep again because of the tiredness.

I stayed in the bed facing the ceiling, not wanting to leave the comfort of my mattress and duvet. Warm rays of sunlight seeped into the room through the small openings on the window curtain, lightening the room with its warm glory.

Why couldn’t there be a week with only six days in it without Mondays?

Well then, you would've started hating Tuesdays.

I snorted at my subconscious.

No words could explain how frustrating it was to get up from your bed, in which you have spent your entire weekend, binge watching Netflix and eating whatever that was edible in your home... to go to school.

"Ugh", I rolled out of my bed, making my way to the bathroom, all the while muttering all the colorful curses under the sun about my lazy and not-so-sorry ass.

A warm shower and usual morning rituals later, I wrapped myself in a towel and walked back into my room. Quickly changing into a pullover and a jean, I brushed my brunette hair that reached my waist into a ponytail and applied a very little of lip gloss and mascara. After taking a last satisfying look at the girl staring back at me in the mirror, I ran down grabbing my backpack for my morning breakfast.

"Ah. Thank you for blessing my morning with your gracious presence, Miss Lazy Goose", my roommate and sister-by-choice, Nora, glared at me pushing a bowl of cereal towards me.

I grinned back mouthing a kiss at her. She turned around shaking her head, smiling, resuming whatever she was doing before I came in.

And we were just like that.

"Don't forget to lock the door and love you", she placed a kiss on my forehead and walked out grabbing her things from the counter.

Nora was a financial consultant at a private company. Her company demanded  her presence almost all the time, sometimes even on weekends. Even with all those untimely work calls and tiring schedule, she somehow managed to roam around with a happy aura which was heavily contagious.

Breakfast was quick. Grabbing my backpack, I locked the front door behind me and immediately buried my hands into my jacket pocket, involuntarily shuddering due to the chilly air.

You would think having lived for 20 years in a place like Wood Springs, I would've gotten used to the cold but that wasn't the case. Wood Springs was a small city in Washington. A regular small town  with always cloudy, gloomy weather which, wet roads and unusual number of dive bars.

A regular town which robbed me off a life with my parents. They died in a car crash when I was seven. Growing up in an orphanage for eleven years in the very town you grew up with your parents was not something I would wish upon my worst enemy.

I moved out of the orphanage once I was 18, and a kind girl from the same orphanage as I was, Nora, took me in with her. I found a job in the local library and was able to pay my share of rent and sometimes, if possible, would also do groceries. I found a normal routine again and here I was, running late for school.

I loved to walk, despite the cold weather that would freeze you alive if you weren't buried beneath four layers of clothing because one...I couldn't afford a car or a cab and two, I loved observing people. Different types of people with different situations and different mindsets, all looking forward to the day to start good... end well. Waving at random small toddlers became my favorite thing.

And about my school,  though most of the classes were boring, sucking up whatever stamina that was left in me, I survived them with the help of my two  best friends, Alice and Jimmy.

It was just the three of us, always hanging out together, laughing at inside jokes and judging people together.

But most of my childhood days were consumed by a boy. Aden!

He was the only one to sit with me at dinner on my first night at the orphanage. He was the one who shared his books and toys with me, sat with me in the backyard and told me stories about stars. He was the one who took the little poor me out of the dark pit I was in, after my parent's death. He was the one who left Wood Springs when I was fourteen without a word and later was told that he was somewhere in Australia, adopted.

There was a saying that things that good things never last long. Every time I let someone into life, every time I get close to them.. I always ended up losing them.

Alice and Jimmy were my school day ride or die friends. They were my armor. They stayed with me through my highs and lows. Always showed up with bags of snacks and shoulders to cry.

They were there to make me smile. They made me feel happy. They made me love myself and most of all; they made me believe that there was a world beyond the wall I built around myself. They were like a bright white sunshine through a small crevice at the end of a dark den, which gave me the most needed thing of my life, hope, to continue my path, no matter how hard and cruel it was.

I always had two strong pairs of hands to lift me up whenever I fell down.

Alice used to say this thing her mom used to tell her and I quote her, “When you lose the lost string of hope that kept you bound to this world and when you start to feel far away from everything, wait. Patiently. There might be someone; there would be someone looking for the exact same thing you were looking for... and that's when miracles happen".

And that was the reason why I woke up every morning, looking for a meaning. A miracle, which would change everything.

I owe them big-time for everything they have done for me and continue to do.

I had a family of my own and it was snatched from me. But I found a family again in people I call my friends. My everything.

********

I hope you guys like this chapter. I think I've done enough sneak-peak into Bella's life. The plots explained in detail in further chapter. Until then, luv ya. Shoot me with constructive criticism.

Vote. Comment. Fan <3

With loves and kisses....

Nisha Amol >_<