Within Reach

Ryan's POV:

Marcus. The Alpha of the Crescent moon pack, the once powerful - now rouge pack. The one who went berserk. The one who I chained down with my own hands. Sarah’s mate. Her killer.

Daniel helped Marcus to kidnap Bella. I would’ve snapped his neck right there if it wasn’t for the fact that I needed him to find Bella.

When people found out that someone about whom they’ve read only in lores and legends actually exist amongst them, it very easily attracted unwanted attention.

This was what I was afraid all this while. A human mate was something that happened once in many centuries. Human mates were so powerful as they were the direct descendants of the ancestors. Such mate’s blood could do wonders. They gave powers to resist silvers and wolfsbane. They healed deadly wounds. But most importantly, a human mate's sacrifice to the moon goddess could bring back dead mates. Could bring back Sarah.

Daniel’s words still rung in my ears. “I don’t know where they took her. Marcus struck a deal with rogues. They helped him kidnap her and in turn he offered kills”.

For them it was just kills. Not a Father, mother. Just kills.

“How do you know about all this?”

“He was waiting for you to meet your mate. And so was I. And when she finally turned up and that too a human mate”, he looked up at my enraged eyes,   “and I went to him”, I scoffed. Traitor. And All this while I thought I had to protect her from outsiders.

“We waited until you mark her as your mate, for the sacrifice to be effective”, he hung his head low not daring to meet my eyes.

“If something happens to her, I’ll decimate you both before I go down”, I whispered and from his flinch I knew he heard me alright.

“Chain him”.

All this while, I thought the rogues were the real enemies when they were just the mercenaries recruited by a backstabber and a murderer.

I leaned back on my office chair, my back muscles sore from the hours long run throughout the whole day in the woods, searching for her. It’s been two nights since she was kidnapped and we were still grasping at straws.

I could see her face, how she looked the morning after I marked her vividly behind my closed lids. How shivered against me when she touched her mark. But the longer I kept my eyes shut with the thoughts of her, the more it went towards the possibility I was dreading.

I opened my eyes, clearing my thoughts. I couldn’t lose hope. No. I looked up when the doors flew open and Jimmy stood in the entrance.

The look on his face got me up from the chair and I walked towards him. "We've got a lead".

"What is it?"

"Our trackers have found a trace of our Luna's scent near the middle land between our pack and the Crescent moon pack. It's weak, but it’s there", his eyes lit up with hope with every word he said.

He didn't have to tell me twice. I walked past him and out the door, ecstatic that we finally got a lead. But Jimmy…

I turned around and looked back at him staring at my office floor, not following me. As much as this involved Bella and me, it also involved him too.

“Jimmy”, he looked up at me, waiting for me to continue and when I didn’t, a look of realization settled in his eyes. He slowly shook his head.

“She’s dead, Ryan. Sarah is long gone and I’ve accepted that. I can’t and I won’t sacrifice my one sister for another”, he blinked back his tears, his jaw clenching, “Now go bring back Bella. I’ll stay here in case if it’s a trap”, he said with a tone of finality.

He went through loss twice even before he was 10. First his parents and then his only family, Sarah. But the only thing that kept him sane was Bella. I saw that change in him, even as a boy, when he joined Wood Springs High. He was zealous. Almost back to normal.

Little did I know that the reason for his happiness would be the reason for mine too.

I gave him all of my promises in a single nod. My canines and claws surfaced and I felt my wolf roaring and clawing at the back of my mind and I wasn’t going to hold back.

I jumped from the top of my stairs and shifted midway. Cool December breeze swept through my midnight fur as I ran hard, filling gallons of oxygen into my raging lungs. Everything went past me in a blur as I sprinted . Few of my warriors joined me as we raced towards the pack border.

The midnight air was crisp with a heavy pine scent and was soothing against my burning hot skin. If it was any other day, my wolf would’ve slowed down to feel the breeze but not today. My pounding heart was the only thing audible and the distant tree line was the only thing visible to me.

The long run through the woods felt like nothing when the hope of finding her was concerned. I skidded to a stop next to the trackers who were already there, waiting for me.

The middle land lurked in front of me in the dark, a moonlit clearing separating it from my pack border.

Gabe, one of the warriors stepped forward and lowered his head, his ears pinned back in respect, mind-linking me. “It’s neither ours nor the crescent moon’s territory. It’s basically a rogue nest and one of our trackers picked our Luna’s scent here. We have the place surrounded and we are waiting for your orders”.

“Stay here and wait for my orders”. If this was a trap, I needed them to go back to the pack house to protect the rest.

I cautiously stalked forward, eyes following every small movement in the dark, slowly reaching the tree line.

They were wrong. And I was never this happy to see my trackers get something wrong. Her scent wasn’t faint. It was strong enough to knock me off my feet and for me to know that she was there.

It was because to them she was just a Luna. But to me, she was a mate. And the mate bond was stronger than anything the wolves have ever known. I took a lungful of her summery scent and I broke into a run, following her trace.

Every step I took forwards, her scent became stronger and it was like a shot of adrenaline right to my heart.

I dipped my head down and felt the cool breeze pass through my fur. Whipping my head in every direction, I searched the dark woods that were so dense that the moonlight didn’t hit the forest floor, my ears perking up and listening to every small sound around me, every rustle of leaves and snap of a twig.

One would say I was hallucinating, but the chill and tingles that went down my spine would prove them wrong.

I would recognize that one voice in the middle of millions.

"Ryan "

Bella !!

*******************

     Okeeeey. I've been very late in updating chapters because I don't know how, but I really lost the idea for this story ( not completely tho).

    Even though, I started this out of curiosity to write something in Wattpad without planning anything, this is my first book and I will not ruin it by leaving it in middle. I promise.

   I've planned how to end this story in the mean while, but it's just that I don't know how to get there.I 'll definitely complete this. That's for sure.

    Thank you for all your supports. And I wanted to ask you this, ANY SHIP NAME FOR BELLA AND RYAN??

  Shoot me with constructive criticism. Stay blessed and connected.

With loves and kisses....

Nisha Amol >_<