3- One Too Many Bombshells for the Day

"Hi, I'm interested in the advice column for the school newspaper," I state to the Newspaper Sheriff, Eliza Dalley. She gave me a friendly smile and passed me an application. I filled it in before the bell went and headed towards Miss Castleton's room. I slumped against the wall, waiting for the dreaded bell could go off so I could get over and done with English.

English was usually the subject that I was the most excited about but today I just wanted to go home. I felt lonely and not knowing where Alice and Sav went made me feel even worse.

"Are you all right my dear?" I looked up to see Miss Castleton studying me.

"Fine miss. Would you like me to hand out the books?"

"I already did but thank you for the offer Miss Febland. I'm glad you're still enthusiastic, especially after some recent events." She must have noticed my miserable expression because she smiled. "Do not worry about the previous content. It's a new term, new topics. I think you'll enjoy writing and studying poetry this term, since it is your favourite form of creative writing."

My mood did lift a little as the rest of the class queued up and I finally saw Alice and Sav. They pushed in to talk to me but I spoke out first.

"Where were you two? I got kicked out by Amy's form tutor and had to eat in the hallways because there was no one in the cafeteria that I talk to."

"Calm down, we stopped by the corner shop with Kay and Am."

"You bunked?"

"No, we just went for a little walk and accompanied Kay get an energy drink. Come on, don't look at us that way! No one saw and we were only out for five minutes," Alice said.

I raised an eyebrow. "Listen, you could've given me some warning."

"Sorry," Sav said and stalked to the back of the queue to talk to someone else. Alice followed.

I entered the classroom but looked momentarily lost. I had had Miss Castleton for English last year so I knew her and her classroom pretty well, most of my teachers had taught me twice in a row, but I had no idea where I sat. She motioned to a seat next to the wall and I set my bag down when everyone else took their seat.

I was nervous and excited to start our unit on poetry. Miss Castleton gave us freedom to writing any style of poetry and include whatever techniques we wanted. I looked at my planner. My handwriting was legible enough to be able to read the ideas that I had jotted down at the back of my planner, plans for poems.

"What are you writing about?" I turned to see Jarrett sitting next to me and felt heat rise to my cheeks.

"Oh, um, I'm just deciding. You?"

"Probably football or something. I'm getting hyped up with the victory even though Norett is giving me the cold shoulder."

I nodded and turned to my planner. When a new idea pops into your head, it's a blessing and a curse. Blessed because you finally have some new material but a curse because you start obsessing over it and overthinking. The thoughts started filling my head and my head pounded even more. I sipped from my water bottle but the pain seared my eyes and I blinked back tears. I often got the weepy eye when headaches started conquering my skull.

"You OK?" Jarrett asked, having noticed my pained expression.

"Yeah. Just thinking."

I set to writing, trying to puke out the words from my brain to paper and clear the fog.

Wake Me Up

My droopy eyes lift

and reflect the artificial light