10- No, I'm Not In My Emo 'Phase'

"Aimes, please! I have a History essay to plan and I've got the Science trip tomorrow. Please just stay tonight," I begged. Amy danced along to a pop song and completely ignored my pleas. My eyelids drooped in exhaustion but I clenched my fists. I needed to hold it together; it looked like I would have to look after Martin yet another night and study, which was probably never going to happen.

"Mum will be back in three hours and I told her that I'm sleeping over at Jessica's! Stop whinging, Paul will probably be back before Mum so you'll have time to study."

"Where's the party going to be?"

"At Ian's."

I rolled my eyes and stomped over to the living room. My sister was telling me that I was the one being ridiculous and acting like a kid but I was getting to the point of shutting down. It didn't help that the February half term was coming up and I had to revise and practise to get the grades I want.

"I'm going now. I'll see you tomorrow in school," Amy announced, slipping on a pair of heeled boots.

"Aimes," I called out. "Why are you so focused on him liking you when he obviously doesn't? Why can't you just accept it and move on?"

Amy's chin jutted out as she crossed her arms over her chest. "Listen, I like him. A lot. So stop digging through my business and mind your own. Do your own thing and let me do mine." she stormed out.

Well I couldn't do my own thing since my whole schedule centered around her moods and whether she'd go out each night. Martin had grown used to Amy going out so he knew how to piss me off at the right time. All I could pray for was that he would get used to it and make my life easier.

I tried to focus on my essay questions but my head ached from the amount of thoughts clogged up in my brain. I had been looking after Martin for over a week; Mum was taking up extra shifts and Amy had only stayed back home during the weekend. The rest of the time, I was on my own. I had to make up lies to cover up for her absence but I was getting fed up.

Opening the door to my small back yard, I stepped out and sat on one of the chairs. Exhaling, a wisp of smoke left my mouth and the cold air whipped my cheeks until they were crimson. The back yard had always been my thinking spot and somewhere where I could relax and reflect on things. Whenever I got grounded, Mum would just send me to the back yard so I could be alone with my thoughts.

I closed my eyes. There was one thing that my Nana had once told me when Mum and Dad got divorced; Life was tough. It's always going to be tough but I can overcome this. I needed to overcome this. I could always think that my problems are the end of the world but I will always get over them. The surface of my pride and dignity might be scratched but I would still survive. If my heart was beating then I was alive. I was just going through a stressful part of my school and social career but I was going to overcome it. I just needed to take tasks one at a time.

***

"Hope!" I shook awake, groaning at the instant ache in my neck. I looked up to see Mum and Paul putting their coats and shoes away. I nestled back into my position, even if I was half-lying on the table, all over my books and papers.

"Good evening," I sat up, rubbing my neck. "How was work?"

"Tiring," Paul yawned and stretched. "You look tired too. Did Martin cause too much trouble?"

His eyes focused on my damp leggings. I had tried to prepare his bath and he got way too excited. My earlier found motivation helped me to not get too angry and I needed to keep it that way. I shook my head and gathered my things. I'd had last the pasta Amy had made in Food Tech for dinner, slept for what looked like an hour and I'd put Martin to bed, now it was time to shower and get back to revising.